BASS MAKES A SIREN SOUND HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VinKreepo, Feb 18, 2010.

1. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    I just got a bass from eBay. Ibanez SR305, probably about 2-3 years old since it has the arm cut and flat top (yes, I know it's an SR and not a GSR). It came with DX5 pickups (stock) and a 2 band preamp (stock). It was used, but the electronics haven't been messed with (everything is perfectly neat and all solder points are perfect). So, I plug it in and it makes a siren sound like a capacitor charging. So I figure it's a blown capacitor and start poking around (I know that's a bad idea but I wanted to discharge the capacitors). After poking around the siren goes away and is replaced by this annoying buzz that sounds like synth bass. And when I plug it in, the bass makes the siren sound really quick and then drops off to the synth bass sound. The synth sound gets worse when boosting either treble or bass and volume control up or down doesn't help. It is not the cable or amp because my BTB and GSR work just fine with a perfect clean signal. Thanks for reading my ramble, suggestions?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If you're hearing sirens it's imperative you keep the ship pointed away from the rocks. Resist the temptation to go to the sirens. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself on the boat...tie yourself to the mast if you have to! :p

Just kidding, have a bump!

3. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol, what sucks is this was my dream bass when I first started. All black. I wanted to put on a fretless ebony FB (IDK if I still will, my GSR is fretless already). Anyways, I open up the box to see this beauty and it sounds like crap..... ugh

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    battery?

5. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    I'll check to see if a new one fixes it

6. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    It was the battery! THANKS! This is what I get for knowing a fair bit about electronics, but not checking the battery. It was dead. Thanks again dude, I owe ya one!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021