Bass makes no sound, what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groovejam, Aug 23, 2005.

1. groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Today I pluged my Fender Jazz bass into my amp, and it made no sound, changed electronics bat and checked all the connections. Brand new bass, only had it for 3 months.

What could it be? What sound I do? Could I try and get a warranty on it, then send it to fender?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sure it's your bass, not your amp?

Check the wiring, especially the output jack.
  3. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    The wisest man I ever knew taught me the following lesson:

"Never overlook the obvious."

Wars have started because people forgot to ask simple, stupid, obvious questions.

Did you try a different cord?

Are you SURE your amp has power? (I used to do IT support for a small publishing'd be amazed at how many "computer crashes" were caused by plugs having been pulled out of the wall.)

If your amp has power, are you SURE your speaker cable is good?

Are you SURE your speaker is good?

If your speaker has a fuse, are you SURE it hasn't blown?

Are you SURE your amp is feeding a signal to your speaker?

Are you SURE the jack on your bass isn't F-ed up?

Are you SURE you have the volume turned up? (Don't scoff...brain fades like this do happen.)

Etc. Don't make ANY assumptions.

This is troubleshooting 101. You need to POSITIVELY eliminate all potential points of failure, one by one.
  4. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Check the input jack in your bass's pot cavity. is the tip of the cable making contact with the protruding piece of metal of your jack? i had this problem happen to me last week, i simply bent the piece of metal on the jack enough to make it contact the end of the cable.
  5. reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005

My jazz bass output jack would sometimes come loose. Well last week it came loose and the wire connecting to the output jack came off. A very simple soldering job fixed the problem in minutes. But as forementioned: check your cables/amp(s)/batteries/etc first before assuming anything.
  6. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Also, try another bass with the same amp and cable. try another cable with the same bass and amp. try another amp with the same bass and cable. this should atleast help you isolate the problem to one of the three things before you go about checking all the finer things.
  7. Yeah maybe take that bass to your local music store and plug in using their cables and amps. That will tell you if it's a problem with your bass (most likely) or with your equipment.

If it's your bass, the next thing to do would be to open it up and compare the wiring with a wiring diagram for the same model to ensure all the wiring is in the right place. Also check the connections at the jack as these tend to break first.
  8. +1

Hehehe. I've been paged in on the weekend before and drove 35 - 40 miles for a printing issue. I get there and the printer just needs to be turned on. I almost called the guy an idiot to his face. I could give IT samples all day.

When I got my first bass a little over a year ago (I'd been playing guitar for much more than a decade) I also got my bass rig. I plugged it all in and it didn't work. I tried a new cable. The power light was lighting up on the amp. I replaced the battery in the bass. Nothing. I tried one of my guitars and I get sounds through it. I try the bass again and nothing. It worked in the store! It turned out that the jack is really tight on the bass and I just needed to push it in a sixteenth of an in or so more. D'oh!