Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass making for a 16 year old idiot... LOL plz help me...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by IVIudvayne, Mar 14, 2003.

1. ok... ive just lately started modifying my basses and making them better than when fender made them... but i just dove off the deep end trying to make a bass.... i want to make a neck thru but i dont know where to find truss rods, and i was also wondering what kind of glue and shop clamps yall use... im 16 so im not an expert on woodworking but i know my way around all of the tools(been working with them since i was old enough to control the table saw to some extent..... i was just wondering if anyone could hellp me with this endeacor and if you had any pointers for me... any help would be greatly appreciated... and do any of you know how to make the curve in the body like the back of a thumb bass or the old spectors???
    i hope yall can help...

thnx,
    Ian

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the title of the thread certainly seems accurate, after reading the content! ;)

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Look at the other threads in this forum. Read them all. There's a ton of the info you are looking for. And don't forget the books that are suggested.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    That's not very nice.

<a href=http://www.warmoth.com>Warmoth has tons of supplies for building basses</a>

<a href=http://www.stewmac.com>StewMac has plenty of stuff too</a>

<a href=http://www.lmii.com>Luthier's mercantile is good for wood and some other things.</a>

Those should be plenty, but some higher-end wood places are:

http://galleryhardwoods.com
    http://gilmerwood.com
    http://exoticwoods.com

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well usually the thread titles bear no relation to what is included - it's "nice" to see one that is entirely accurate for a change!! ;)

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That was plenty nice..........for Bruce ;).
    I would say something, but I will just let him get into the whole "trying to build a bass thing", and let him realize he is in over his head, unless, of course, he goes with bodys and parts he can just peice together, as that is fairly simple. There is a reason all us bassplayers PAY for basses......

7. It seems like if everyone bought basses, this forum wouldn't be necessary. Personally, I can't see how making a body would be all that difficult. But I don't know this for fact, as I haven't tried it. Thumbs up on him attempting this, it's the only way to find out if it is beyond his capabilities.

8. thnx for all of your help... some more than others
    :spit: (bruce) :spit:
    wow... i really appreciate any help and im sorry for posting another thread... im just a glutton for attention ;) :D ;) but yeah... im almost done with the prototype.. i decided i would try it with a piece of pine before i got any better wood... ill post pics as soon as i can get some... well.. gotta go cut out the body and fit the neck and stuff.... be back later... sorry butim just using an old fender neck that i ripped the frets out of and took the fender markings and stuff off of....

thnx,
    ian

9. Bruce Lindfield

That's the answer to Blackbird's question about old, bad, Fenders - they got chopped up and cannibbalised for "projects"!! ;)

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Is that telling us to stop him, with our bare hands? Like "Stop ""trolling bruce"""

Or are you telling him

"Stop trolling, Bruce.":confused: :D

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  13. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I'm down if you guys are. Maybe DonZ could lend us his purpleheart and maple baseball bat...?

14. Hey i just thought id let you know that i made a website for my fledgling bass making attempt(s)... hopefully there will be more... tell me what yall think of the body design and such...

:bassist: Ian :bassist:

15. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    Ian,
    I checked out you web page and I think your headed in the right direction, I like the looks of your prototype body... Check out my new web site
    I would be glad to help you out...
    www.MBasses.com

16. wow Jon... i wish i had the tools and stuff you have... as soon as i get back to the shop at my grandparents hous ill take a picture and show you what it looks like... how do you make a hollow body or semihollow boddy bass???? ive always wondered about that... ive got alot morre questions but im gonna try not to annoy you, wow... your basses look great, but what kind of glue do you use to join the strips of wood together?? and do you use likedovetails or anything or just straight glue??
    Ian

17. wow.... thnx for that Thulsa... thats exactly what i wanted to hear, as well as what Jon said...
    thnx for the support and stuff...
    Ian

18. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Ian -- one thing to think about is your lower cutaway looks a little narrow. I built a few basses early on like that. Things can get tight when playing up high on the fingerboard if you don't leave enough room.

Good luck with it. Personally, I use Titebond glue and all butt-joints. I can't speak for Jon.

19. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Ian, it looks like your site has exceeded its bandwidth, and, therefore, people (like me) can't view it. I forgot to notice what webspace provider you were using, but you might try freeservers.com. I haven't made a site in years, but I used them when I was more into having a webpage, and they give you a lot of space and good features for free. And you get a shortname (like iheartmudvayne.8m.com, for example:D ).

Good luck with bass making; I'm just delving into it myself (which you may or may not know from reading 'round these parts). It's pretty bizarre to be looking at wood like you're looking at naked ladies, but it will happen!:D