Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Mandolin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAxe, Nov 7, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I've been looking at the Warmoth website thinking about ordering parts and building a complete bass.

I also have GAS for a MandoCello, aka an Octave Mandolin. It's about the size of a guitar and tuned one octave lower than a standard mandolin.

I've come across websites which discuss converting an acoustic guitar into an octave mandolin.

I want to build a 5-string bass, but the idea of getting an 8-string neck and stringing it with mandolin strings is tempting, too.

Any thoughts?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

I guess JPJ had a similar interest...

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    personally, i could hear the difference between JPJ's bass mandolin and a double-stringed bass.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've just got one quick question:
    That Koto in the background...does anyone know anything about playing those? We've got one at work, and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

Back on subject:
    Breedlove Guitars built a mandolin tuned an octave lower for one of thier clinic players. He came for a clinic at work a while back, and that thing was cool! It didn't have the doubled strings, it was just a 4 string, but it was a true acoustic mandolin. It was custom made for this guy (sorry, just can't come up with his name), and they said they won't make any more, except for him. :( I want one!