1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Mandolin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAxe, Nov 7, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I've been looking at the Warmoth website thinking about ordering parts and building a complete bass.

I also have GAS for a MandoCello, aka an Octave Mandolin. It's about the size of a guitar and tuned one octave lower than a standard mandolin.

I've come across websites which discuss converting an acoustic guitar into an octave mandolin.

I want to build a 5-string bass, but the idea of getting an 8-string neck and stringing it with mandolin strings is tempting, too.

Any thoughts?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

I guess JPJ had a similar interest...

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    personally, i could hear the difference between JPJ's bass mandolin and a double-stringed bass.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've just got one quick question:
    That Koto in the background...does anyone know anything about playing those? We've got one at work, and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

Back on subject:
    Breedlove Guitars built a mandolin tuned an octave lower for one of thier clinic players. He came for a clinic at work a while back, and that thing was cool! It didn't have the doubled strings, it was just a 4 string, but it was a true acoustic mandolin. It was custom made for this guy (sorry, just can't come up with his name), and they said they won't make any more, except for him. :( I want one!