Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sdguyman, Aug 10, 2005.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    This is sort of a subjective question but I've been thinking about this for some time and I keep coming to possibly 1 conclusion and would like others to chime in.

I have been wondering what Modern Day Manufacture of Bass guitars will we be kicking ourselves 20 years from now for getting rid of? Sort of the equivalent of a 1977 Musicman Stingray, or 70's Fender Jazz.

I feel that 20 years from now I might say I wish I kept my Lakland 55-94.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

2. I second that. Laklands and Cirri (Peavey Cirrus) seem to almost be instant classics these days.

I think that the thing is though, back in the 70's, all these companys were still owned buy the guy whose name is on the headstock. These days, everyone is owned by some larger company/corporation, it doesn't seem to be a working mans market anymore, but a business mans market, where the dollar is king, and the product sits to the left of the guy in charge. (as opposed to sitting to the right, which is where the more important thing is seated... hence "right-hand-man.")

$.02 deposited.

~Ryan

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I agree, I think the Peavey Cirrus will become sought after, because Peavey will cheapen the design to save $$$ and rely on the great reputation the Cirrus line already has. Then, the early model Cirrus will be sought after, just like pre-Gibson Tobias basses.

I'm sure there will be others, but the first generation Cirrus basses were/are much more valuable than the Peavey reputation implies, and the test of time will confirm that.

Otherwise, I see pre-Fender SWR's holding more value as Fender slowly drives the brand into the can, as well as pre US Music Eden gear.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    people ditch 77 rays and 70 jazzes everyday... many players wouldn't give them a second glance.

I regret not having most every instrument I've got rid of over the years... from $200 beaters on up. I've only bought stuff that had value to me.

to me, this is a killer time to be a bassist... the best stuff is now!

I guess to answer the question, I'd love to buy a Wal and a Reverend to stick in storage for a few decades

5. rossfactor4

rossfactor4

Aug 7, 2005
    I've got a couple of Kubickis, both from after Phil got the production back from Fender. They are beautiful instruments, made with the sort of care that you get when the maker's name is across the front. I've played the Fender-era basses and they are simply not as good, AND they got worse further into the Fender era.
    IN 20 years I'll still have my Kubickis (and hopefully a couple more).

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    first off, That's a really cool way to look at this topic, James.

What gear I would probably moth-ball for a couple decade, would be a Marchlewski SC5, a Walter Woods Ultra and a Schroeder cab. Not 'just' to be trendy... for 4 specific reasons:

-Jacob Marchlewski is a young and extremely talented builder, who is going to only improve each year. A couple decades from now his basses are gonna be worth a bunch.
    -Walter Wood's years and experience have yielded a solid, small, powerful, indestructable amp with amazing tone and it weighs next to nothing.
    -The more I read about Jorg Schroeder's cabs, the unique design and use of space is innovative... never mind what cats are saying about it's tone.
    -...the final reason, is by having all three, I would have a killer complete rig to play decades from now. :bassist:

... All three are great innovations now, imagine what they will be like years from now.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    One of the cool things - just one, as there are many - about Ernie Ball Musicman is that although Ernie moved on a short time ago to that big gig in the sky, Sterling, who's been running things for a long time, is still actively involved, to say the least.

So I have to say that, for me, this is prime time for the EBMM players.