1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Massacre in Nashville

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doc540, May 9, 2010.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I know people died and lost all their possessions, but the flood wiped out hundreds of instruments and amps.

This is as bad as it gets.:bawl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The storage company flooded is "Soundcheck".

Photos by Ron Matthews

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Ya, locally there's been quite a bit of news footage here around Nashville showing many classic instruments being taken out of cases in horrible condition after being submerged, etc.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Somehow I don't think my guitar playing cousin is thinking about this, being that he had to bury a co worker. Jus' sayin'

5. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "I know people died and lost all their possessions...

already said in my opening post

This thread is only about the lost equipment. The loss of life is far and away worse.

This is just ONE guy's guitars: Jerry McPherson
    728_Jerry_McPhearson_1.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Like my dad said, "Insurance hopefully will cover most of it, but money cant make vintage and mojo."

RIP to all who passed.

7. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    The warehouse didn't insure the contents.

Individuals were on their own insurance-wise.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What Im saying is, Im hoping theyre insured at all.

9. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Oh, absolutely.

Many of the people who stored their stuff there were just pickers and road warriors.

One can only hope and pray they had insurance.

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Well, If there is a bright side to a sad story, all the good luthier's and restorers will have plenty of work. With proper care most will be saved, thanks to good craftsman, and there are plenty in that area.

11. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Its sad to see such a huge whole kicked into musical heritage like that. Imagine if it had been orchestral instruments, and the outcry over that.

Still does not compare to the human loss though.

12. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    although the thread is on the recent flooding in TN, let us NEVER forget the Katrina disaster that also wiped out thousands of vintage, rare and never replaceable instruments as well.

and of course, all the people who lost their lives and all their possessions down there.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would venture to guess that the Nashville area probably has the highest concentration of vintage guitars, basses and amps per capita of darn near anywhere in the world. Cruel fate.

Also, even if those people had insurance on their gear, not sure they're covered unless they had dedicated flood insurance. Assuming same rules apply as to homeowner's insurance.

14. That's the kicker with insurance. Unless you're a pro who has anywhere, anytime damage insurance, different than theft, you won't be covered thru your home insurance cause it wasn't at your house. .... When something like this happens they'll look for every loop hole they can find to get out'a paying. ...... So hopefully the instruments weren't submerged under backup sewer water also. Then they need professional taking apart and cleaning.... That happens when the water table gets that high. .... Our world she's a changing.

15. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That hurts just looking at it.

16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    So sad!

I really hope that most can be restored.

17. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    So much awesome in one room :bawl:

18. Ouch. I just threw up a little in my mouth. That's so sad. I have been reading about all the storehouses along the river that store equipment for the many touring acts, and how much equipment got soaked. Kenny Chesney's house was evidently under several feet of water.

19. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I'd prefer to keep the thread focused on the gear lost.

Thanks

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Based on Tim Marks' post in the Lakland thread, I'm not sure how many instruments can be restored.:( Maybe others have been more fortunate.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9100650&postcount=916