Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass me up, scotty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marzer, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    I need advice on what kind of bass I should buy. It will be my first bass. I'm looking to spend 200, but if it is less than that, its fine. It can also be a tad over 200. I mainly want to play jammy music, with a phish feel. I was thinking about the Yamaha bb404, but I've read some good things about essexs too. I'm pretty sure I want a J bass (thinner neck right?) and definitely 4 string with frets. Yeah, so basically I want a begginner bass that will last me until I am considered more or less 'intermediate'.

I also need an amp, as my 15 watt piece of **** amp just broke on me (I play guitar). I want a bass amp, and if you can suggest the best amp+bass combo, that would be awesome. (I don't want a starter pack, since I have all the 'accessories' already, and I don't want to sacrifice quality for a tuner)

thanks in advance
    :bassist:

2. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    If you absolutley can't wait to save up to get a MIM Fender (or don't want to ;) ), then I don't think you can go wrong either way you go with an SX or BB404. The Yamaha might be the better "deal" since it is on sale...

EDIT: I prefer the "Jazz" sound, that's why I may lean towards the SX.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The BB404 is an amazing beast. Just got mine today (fretless) and it's the best sub $500 bass I've ever played. I'd take it over an SX any day for the price.

4. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    well the reason I'm not going to save up is because I have my friends bass right now, and I'm assuming he will want it back sometime soon. Also, if I get the bb404, I want to get it before they sell out.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Jump on it now man, it's worth every penny.

6. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    thanks for the input, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the 404, unless someone talks me out of it soon :cool:

7. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    Alright I just bought it. Thanks for all the help :bassist:

8. Report back when you get it man!

How much money do you have for an amp?

9. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    0 right now lol, but I plan on using a friends until I save up.