1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Measurements. Is it a natural 3/4??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by munk18, Mar 16, 2009.

1. munk18

munk18

Nov 7, 2008
    Hey fellow bassists.

I have a Calin Wultur Romanian 3/4 double bass, which has long string length (109cm/43in) and since that always was a pet peeve of mine (even though I still LOVE my bass sound) I was interested to measure my bass fully. This is the data I recorded:

Scroll to Bottom: 185cm
    Nut to Bridge: 109cm
    Shoulder to Bottom: 114cm
    Shoulder length (right to left): 52 1/2 cm
    Ribs: 40cm
    Bottom length: 69cm

So, the reason I'm posting this thread is because is this common to have these types of basses sized as a 7/8? the label inside says 3/4...

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    In inches for the US lazy that's approx:

Scroll to Bottom: 73"
    Nut to Bridge: 43"
    Shoulder to Bottom: 45"
    Shoulder length (right to left): 20.5"
    Ribs: 15.75"
    Bottom length: 27"

I assume the "Ribs" is really the center bout across the table and that you haven't listed your rib depth.

Either way this is a pretty big bass. A 7/8 in my book but that line is very fuzzy.

3. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    How's the humidity?

The bass could have swelled from excessive moisture.

:bag:

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    As you may know, the terms 3/4, 7/8, 4/4, etc. are pretty squishy. String length seems to be what most focus on in naming a bass size. Still, some makers will say a bass is a 7/8 if it has a larger than usual body but, say a 42" string-length. Yours seems to have a large body and with its 43" string-length, I guess would be called a 7/8 by most. I think the best info to give someone about a bass is the string length and body measurements just as you did. The size designations don't really mean too much and seem to be used inconsistently.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    Bass sizes are all over the place, that's why I suggest players that have larger instruments provide the scale length and afterlength to be sure certain strings are compatible. I have a Bass Size FAQ on my site that has the basic MENC measures for the four common sizes, but any maker can call their basses any size they want.

I've called them but the Bass Police never pick up.

6. munk18

munk18

Nov 7, 2008
    cool. thanks guys!