Bass Micro Synth vs. Moog Murf

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. I know they don't really do the same thing, but I'm just looking for a pro/con comparison of the two in regards to sound & usefullness.
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Not at all. I spent about a solid half hour with a MURF and it is a whole different ballgame. It splits the spectrum down by regions and lets you apply different filters to each slice and control the sweep speed, depth... Look at something like the Zvex ooh-wah for a similar effect to the MURF without the extra controls. I couldn't find a way to make it stop robbing all the low end from the bass. But to be fair it is complicated and I would have been into spending another hour with the manual in one hand and the MURF in front of me.

The micro synth is more like the Moogerfooger Filter, for example.
  3. Is the Murf known for robbing low end? Or do you figure it just needed more tweeking?

And by Moogerfooger Filter, do you mean the Low Pass Filter? Or something else?
  4. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah I think he means the MF-101 (Low Pass Filter)
  5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I've used both -- my MURF is for sale, and the EH is long gone, but I'm whimsical about gear.

Anyway, yeah, they don't do the same thing, although you can get EH-like filter sweeps out of the MURF. The EH has envelope control to get quasi unconvincing bowed sounds (I love them, btw), and several voices to add to your signal. The MURF has sample and hold type sounds, underwater gurgles, phasing, flanging, ring mod.

The EH filter is nasty while the MURF filters are relatively polite. The MURF unit has pristine sound quality, and the EH very doesn't. I like the MURF, but I decided I'd never use it much. I didn't really like the EH -- a good fuzz, octaver, envelope follower, and a slow gear (or just the volume knob on your bass) would get you about all of the EHs sounds, better. Nothing but the MURF can do the MURF, as far as I know, although an Ooh-wah gets part of it, and any decent filter (Frostwave Resonator, e.g.) would get you another part.

YMMV. Someone, I am quite sure, completely disagrees with all of this, and I don't have either unit here to check my memory.
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Uh Huh,
    That's pretty much it. I did mean the MF 101 Lowpass. I think that the Frostwave is probably the one with the most potential. That is the real dark horse. The Korg filter has as many adherents as the Moog, and maybe more beacuse that fat filter sound is on so many tracks. It also splits the difference between the EMMA which sounds great but has no CV input, and the MF which sounds great but "moog-ey" and has the best external control setup. The sample sound huge on the Frostwave and I'd love to try one.

Filter effects rob low end by definition, but the way the filter is created make a difference in how sharp the cutoff is and how much of the original signalis preserved.

After i demo'd the MURF I had no idea where and how i would use it, as opposed to the EH where it was VERY obvious where that was going and how. That isn't a knock on the MURF, but an observation on my rig.
  7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Bump... anyone else have anything to contribute? The Moog Bass MuRF has me intrigued, and the samples sound awesome... but I'd love to hear it with fuzz running into it!
  8. BassClub

Feb 19, 2006
    I'm the lucky owner of an EHX Bass Micor Synthesizer and a Moog Moogerfooger MF-105B Bass MuRF :hyper: ; it sounds simply awesome, just like a sequenced vintage analog synth.

Check this out:

Bass Micro Synth vs. Moog MuRF?
    The deal is BMS PLUS MuRF!

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    BassClub, got any sound clips? :D

I know the MuRF doesn't have a fuzz or distortion feature built-in, but I was interested in hearing a comparison of their filters, as well as how they'd sound together.
  10. BassClub

Feb 19, 2006
    I'll have a few days off between christmas and new year's eve, so i'll make some soundclips so you can judge how incredible that rig is!

Just have to wait a few days, and then we'll be able to discuss about it together... I'm curious to have your opinion 'cause I used to read your comments before GASing on eveything, just as a few other TBer's!

11. i think the Murf's overdrive on it's own sounds very cool as well. that shouldn't be overlooked. it's an extremely unique pedal to say the least as you can do a whole lot of cool stuff with it. many different sounds. one of the big appeals for me is that it is a great pedal to simply experiment with.