1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass midi?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ppr_Trpr, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Ppr_Trpr

Ppr_Trpr

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm looking at getting a bass midi in order to use my bass as a midi controller but I have no idea where to begin; this is an entirely new world to me. Any suggestions on where to look/start? I'm hoping to find something usable for around $100 if possible, but I know that may be a long shot. Thanks guys!

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  3. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    There are quite a few threads on this, but here's the one thing that is in your price range:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_b2m.html

There's been mixed reviews on that unit, but some folks have had success. It won't track nearly as well as a specially designed pickup or entire midi bass system but it will get your feet wet!

4. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    This won't work. I've tried everything including the Sonuus (2 different units) and the Roland pickup. The latency cannot be overcome on bass. I even spoke with a Roland rep through Sweetwater Sound and he told me that only one of their units had anything near a quarter of a second latency and that's only if you play above the fifth fret (more like above the 10th fret). Get a keyboard synth. Learn from my trial and error and save a lot of money, time and aggravation.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 by the time you're done wasting hundreds or thousands of dollars chasing the dream, you could've already bought a nice keyboard synth. No way a bass guitar will ever cop the synth tones in any real way.

6. I tried the sonuus. It was pretty cool if you play very cleanly, and account for the latency in your playing style. Really, it would be cool to layer midi synth parts on top of other instruments, but I didn't get the feeling it could be used as the primary bass signal very effectively.

7. bassofthe

bassofthe

Jun 5, 2011
    I wanted synth sounds too. I got a Moog Taurus - problem solved. Might work for you as well.