Bass Mod for Dingwall sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marco Schwarz, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    Hey everybody!
    I am thinking about a budget modproject. I would like to get into the ballpark of the modern metal Dingwall sound.
    Any suggestions on what bass, preamp and pickups might get me somewhere into that direction?
    I had a Ray5 with the tonecapsule and some ceramic PUs on mind, but that might be too stingrayish....

2. tmvt

tmvt

Feb 9, 2022
    Probably Dingwall pickups with either a Darkglass pre or a Glockenklang pre. Thats the formula besides adding in it being a multi scale.

Lenny JG likes this.
  3. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I rebuilt an old Ibanez BTB with Nordstrand “Dingstrand Nordwall” pickups (soapbar dimensions, made to Sheldon Dingwall’s specs), a Dingwall pickup selector, and using a Darkglass Tone Capsule. I suspect that’s as close as you’re likely to get on a parallel fret bass.

bdgotoh, Lenny JG, Jefus and 2 others like this.
  4. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    Thanks for the input!! I´ll have to dig deeper:) I´m a homerecording guitarist and I wonna go the same road I´ve done with my guitars, unfortunately I´m a neewby when it comes to bass tone.... Whats the deal with the multiscale thing? It provides a perfect string tension, even for the low registers, OK. But is it really such a big part of the game? I looked at the separate, real heavy looking bridges for each string on the dingwalls and thought they would be responsible for the defined tone and that extra clearness... Was I looking at the wrong spot?

5. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    so the dingwall square end PUs will fit in a bass with any soapbar?

6. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    Thanks for the Nordstrand hint:) Me as a guitarist was looking for EMGs etc. with neodymium PUs without succes!!

Nuage420 likes this.
  7. tmvt

tmvt

Feb 9, 2022
    Not sure. Thats just what you need to get the sound. I didnt say it would fit into a existing route.

Lenny JG likes this.
  8. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    :) OK

9. Nuage420

Nuage420 smile Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Georgia
    LowEndLobster likes this.
  10. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    tbh, the lobster made me think about modding a sub. I can´t tell what that would sound like through a distorted gain stage from lobsters videos though.... That´s why I a´started the post
    Great channel anyway:)

LowEndLobster likes this.
  11. I don't think you can buy the Dingwall pickups either. They don't sell pickups, they sell whole basses. Go with the Nordstrand pickup, they developed that pickup with Dingwall so it's really your only "off the shelf" option to get close.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The closest you will get for the least money is if you just buy a Darkglass pedal. You're not going to get the 37" B string characteristics without a 37" B string.

DeltaPhoenix, smogg and Nuage420 like this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    You can get Nordwall Dingstrand pickups on the Nordstrand website. I think that's what they're called and essentially are Dingwall designed pickups built by Nordstand and available for parallel fret basses.

14. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    what BTB did you use? I´ve seen some on Ebay, looks super interesting

15. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    Great support, thanks a lot. The Nordstrand HP says exactly what you posted! I´m now really thinking about getting a used IBanez BTB405 with a 35" scale length and mono rail bridges, in order to drop those Nordsttrands with a tone capsule in there. Given that I´m not Nolly Getgood, I´m never gonna sound like that anyway, but this might go into the right direction:)

RichSnyder likes this.
  16. That's basically what I said.

5c1ac52d5e6242eb43d39c0519dbec93.jpg

ctmullins likes this.
  17. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    I know, sorry If I'm talking to much:) maybe I'm a little bit too excited because of all the input.

ctmullins likes this.
  18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Yes, it absolutely is. The extra long scale of the lower strings makes them ring like a piano.

MDBass and smogg like this.
  19. Marco Schwarz

Marco Schwarz

Jul 26, 2022
    Germany
    So a Sub Stingray with 34" compared to the 37" on a Dingwall isn't the perfect platform then.

20. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    A BTB400QM. The 400 series are great for a straight install, since they have five holes for the five control pots with my setup, some of the newer ones would leave you with at least one extra hole that was used for toggle switches, and that’s assuming you use the other switch hole for an active/passive switch. I think there are some models that have just the one toggle, for mid frequency center, that could be swapped for an active/passive without having an extra hole left over.

Those 400 series, though, or any from the early days (early 2000s) are also really reasonable on the used market. Mine was dirt cheap, due to it having fried electronics when I bought it.

View attachment 4773188

Marco Schwarz likes this.