Bass Modification

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ACE|FRAG, Apr 18, 2003.

Apr 18, 2003
    hi, first post here :)
    was wondering if anyone has ever seriously modified their bass before?
    heres an example of what i mean:
    if so, could you please point me towards a guide or any other information or threads on the subject, thanks in advance :)
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    What a godawful mess that is. Yes, you can mod a bass any way you like it, but why? Some call it hotrodding or customizing. Do a search on the subject for more info. If you want to build in effects rather than using stompboxes, it can be done, but I wouldn't use a good bass for this project. Also its just that much more that can go wrong if the bass has a problem.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    First, let me say welcome to TB. Second let me say that while I have done some modding to my MIM P, all I can say about that pic is :eek:. I don't know how many people have done something that extreme to their instrument. All I have done is put a new pickguard on, install new pickups, install ashtrays, and install a thumbrest.

Apr 18, 2003
    thanks for the advice and welcome guys :)
    and no, im not going to use a decent bass, going to get a second hand off the paper or ebay or something
    saw an ok one for £16 a few hours ago hehe :)
    i'll do a search on the subject, thx
    edit: unfortunately my search turns up nothing useful ;(
    a link to a guide or something would be much appreciated, if anyone has one?
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    holy crap, that's an ungodly mess on that guitar! I kinda dig the carpet, but use a better color! Like the leopard print I used on one of my guitars.
    What exactly is it that you are wanting to do to it? On-board effects? Just changing some parts?
    And welcome to TB. :D

Apr 18, 2003
    actually first i was thinking of seeing what other people done and if theres any tutorials on how to do it before i make up my mind on what im gonna do
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    needs more hand controlled wah pedal
  8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Its hard to recommend something if your not sure what you want to do. I hate to link to a rival site but you might get some ideas of what you want to do here:
    Post back here when you figure out what it is you would like to do and I'm sure you will find some help.
  9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If I'm not mistaken, The Dude posts here on Talkbass ("Cool or Crap"), and people on here often refer other people over to the Dudepit. People on the Dudepit probably do the same.