1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Mods Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geri O, Sep 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I've been seeing these basses here and there lately. They look and sound great and the fit and finish on the two I was able to examine up close is great. How do they make a bass of this (seeming) quality for the price they do?

I heard one in a video tonight (a Jazz-style bass) and it's the sound I'm looking for.

I hate to ask, what a boring and mundane question, but does anyone have experience with these basses? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Maurice Fitzgerald model.

Thanx.

2. Hey Geri, I have the K534 Burled Beauty and I love it. BassMods basses source their bodies and necks through their Korean manufacturer, then the bass body and neck are sent to California to their facility where the piece is put together, pickups installed, fret board is PLEK'd, unit it is setup and QC'd. After everything is deemed perfect it is sent to you.

I love my k534 and I will be getting another BassMods bass, maybe their new Q534.

daveonbass likes this.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I had one for a while. Fit and finish was top notch. Beautiful spalted maple top and thick slab ebony board. Came strock with Bartolini pickups and the proprietary Bass Mods preamp. Many usable tones available. My sole complaint was the weight. It was a boat anchor. Wouldn't have been surprised if it clocked in at 13 pounds or more (never weighed it). Had it been a 5 string I would have kept it.

DSCN0560.jpg
    DSCN0561.jpg

gsandorx, LM Bass, Farrin D and 3 others like this.
  4. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    I have had my K6 for four years and it is my main bass. great tone, great looks, 18mm spacing at bridge, a nice flexible preamp. I very highly recommend them! as for how they can do it, i believe it is due to being made in Korea. out of all the imports i own (all 7 of my basses) the Korean made instruments are much better quality than Indonesia and China. but, YMMV, this is all speculation.

5. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I had a K6 and K5.
    They are good but very heavy.
    If you don't mind weight, Try it.

6. JBassHead

JBassHead

Oct 13, 2015
    I just got my EF5 with Reed James pups not to long ago and I love it! I don't find it heavy either. It's at least a couple pounds lighter than my old Yamaha TRBX305 that I started out on!

By the ways, does anyone know what strings come on the EF5???!? It's either the Marcus Miller Super brights or the regular SS super brights ...

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

7. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I also have the EF5. My bass weighs less than a custom bass I bought for 3x the cost. The tone is great. The fit and finish is great for a bass 4x the cost. I've owned Roscoes, Elrick, Warwicks, MTDs, and Fenders. This bass will eat up any Fender Jazz bass. Plus, you get to choose your electronics.

My bass came in at 10.1 lbs on bathroom scale.

Attached Files:

8. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    I just got a 5 , kills and weighed in at 9.8-10.0 lbs on my bathroom scale

Attached Files:

mark beem likes this.
  9. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    What preamp is in your bass?

ROY PENNON likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021