1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Mods! Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    For those of you who've already seen enough of this one, please forgive my perpetuating this plate of hash...

I modded my Schecter Stiletto Elite-4, and posted it. I got some response, and much of it was unexpectedly favorable. This must mean there's a contingent of folk out there who are as "nutty" (Lobster11's quote!) as I am... and who are doing what it takes to make their bass a truly 'player's instrument'.

Re-sale value and original look are a clear back-seat dweller for us, intrepid ergonomic mavens and Guardians of the Groove- and those of us willing to step out and leave convention in pursuit of our passion reap the reward of an instrument with that 'close fit' that truly suits our own personal style. Maybe I should try and write for a fashion magazine... :p

I think maybe it's hard for some to parade their DIY achievments in the eye of the TB general assembly, as there are those who would not only look downward at this type of bold-face bastardization, but might even make public their derisive angle and draw a crowd for sport. Hey, no one likes to be made a joke- even when they're clearly not!

So I just thought I'd throw this out there. Any pragmatic bassist out there who are interested in sharing their bass mods? Here's a chance to justify your musicianship and personal functionality! And the nuttier the better! I guess...

So, a Club! What do you say?

Here's mine:
    P2100001.
    P2100006.
    I replaced the EMG passives/BTS 2-band with a DiMarzio Model-1 and a Fender 'Noiseless' J-p'up. The Luaun plywood/Epoxy pickguard covers my Porter-Cable router's trail... the knobs are from an old Peavey 8-ch mixer. :smug:

EDIT: The switch is a "Dummy", also known as a "Producer Switch". Get it?... :D

P2100004.
    This is a piece of cold-rolled steel stock (bought at Home Despot), milled and 'let in' to the back of the bass via a 1/8" deep channel I routed out. It's set in with Epoxy paste and 2 screws. There's a large washer/nut/bolt arrangement to hold the strap. This keeps the bass in such a weight distribution that I can do this:
    P2120034.

That's it. It sounds pretty close to my old Gibson EB-0, with better sustain and clearer tone. Sweetie of a player.

What's your Mod?

P.S. How does one start a club???

2. Great idea!! That Shecter is certainly unique and personalized!!!

Most of the mods I've done have been on basses that have now been sold. I made the bass clef inlay on my SBV and several pickguards for my old Bongo.

3. Clear pickguard and the alunimun diamond plate one in process :)

4. I've done a few other bass related projects but the latest is my Squier Active Jazz 5. Hipshot tuners, Badass bridge, carbon fiber nut, string tree, neck plate and powdercoated knobs. I also vintage tinted the neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    To begin with I've never found those Schecter basses to be attractive, and odd shaped pickguards generally don't appeal to me, and those may be the ugliest knobs I've ever seen on any instrument. That being said you have managed to combine 3 minuses (personal opinion here!) into a serious plus. I have no idea what it is about that bass but I think it's quite beautiful. Very nice work!

6. From a standard cheapy PJ with vol/vol tone, to:

DSC00437.

DSC00440.

Not a huge amount of modding, mainly electrical and a couple new holes!

7. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have a metallic black Indonesian Squier Precision Special that is undergoing mods and when complete should have a Warmoth wenge/wenge neck, Hipshot ultralight tuners, a Duncan QP P in the neck and a DiMarzio X2N-7 in the bridge, a HAS-Sound wiring harness, a white pearloid pickguard, Schaller straplocks and a Gotoh bridge.

Current modded bass; SX Precision 5 with a Duncan MM5 (ceramic) and a HAS-Sound varitone switch. Wide open the pickup is a little harsh, but the variton really helps to tame it into usable sounds. The AlNiCo version of the same pickup probably wouldn't benefit from it as much. The neck pickup is not wired in so the knobs are vol/tone/varitone.

[​IMG]

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    everything I own is modded nothing stays stock LOL

9. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I SO want to send you something, anything, to get modded before your prices skyrocket and the waiting line goes over a year!

10. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I can't help but mod every bass I buy... It's mostly just gutting the electronics and doing it the way I like it, though.

11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Lol!! I don't like the shape either, but for the money it was a great player. Also I found the build solid, so it became my Muhahahahah model.

Thanks for the good word! And yeah, it has sort of incurred it's own look. It's all just so... out of place, I guess. Total happenstance.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have 14 basses and none of them are stock ...

See the link below ...

:bassist:

13. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Sound is everything, really, in the end. I have noticed that at the end of the day, that's where I'm at.

14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Neat job! Neat look.

15. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I want a Ric again. I've had three, I miss two of them- and those two were the best sounds ever. One of those was the best sound and look ever- Blackstar #199. I am a fool.

16. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    She's 20 years old, ugly but sweet to lay fingers on. Can't remember what brand it was, but the hard ash body is the only remaining original part. Mods include: DiMarzio or Chandler neck (can't remember), Schaller pegs, Badass I Bridge, Select P and J pups, Schaller straplocks, homemade dice knobs, homemade thumbrest between pups, and plexiglass under the G string so my finger doesn't slide too far under the strings when popping them.

17. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    That's what ahm talkin' about! I like the plexiglass to keep your fingers out of trouble- my kind of mod: Get the thing done and get back to playing! Nothing ugly about that.

18. Me too.

19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    SX SPB-62, Fender Jazz MIM neck, Fender "Original '62" pickup, Early 80s Fender bridge (hidden by bridge cover), Fender bridge cover, Hipshot classic tuners:

moddedsx01.

Unknown brand P bass body, MIM Fender Jazz neck, G&L MFD humbucker, Hipshot Ultralight tuners, Bayou Cables wiring harness, Fender USA brudge:

IMGA0017.

20. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Nice girl on the black bass- what does this one sound like?