1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Mods Preamp not happening for me !

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mixx80, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    For me not happening ! 1.Missing nuts and washers

2. Found out also volume knob set screw was missing. altogether those things set install back two weeks ! They did end up shipping me what I needed.

3. OVERLY BRIGHT ! I guess useable for some slappers maybe ? Not bad sounding but TOO BRIGHT ! If not for that it would be cool. Maybe ?

4. Affordable yes, but I am ripping it out and probably will sell it ! Lesson learned. I wonder how much longer they will make it in the bass biz???

NO GOOD:rollno:

2. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    Too bad. I had a better experience with them. We added a cap to the treble, removed the Mid eq, and replaced it with a 250 CTS tone pot to run in passive mode. But I agree on the bright aspect. Still we were able to tame it.

3. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Not knocking you in any way. But if you had to basically mod the thing what's the point of getting a active pre ? Just curious .

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    But couldn't you make exactly the same statement to someone who was modding their bass??

Buying a preamp and then modding it is exactly like buying a bass and modding it. Various people are comfortable with one, the other, both, or neither. If you know how to do it preamp mods aren't any harder than other mods and if modding a preamp that didn't meet your expectations gets you what you want without losing money on selling it at a loss so you can get one you would like better why not mod it? Even if you know going in that a preamp will need mods to suit you, if it is cheap enough compared to the one you really want then it makes sense to buy and mod. If you have some custom preamp design in mind a pre-existing preamp may well have 90% or more of what you need to make what you want so it is handy to start from one and quite possibly cheaper than buying all the parts you would need to start from scratch.

It is quite evident that modding is a hobby unto itself for many folks here on TB and there is nothing wrong with that. Active electronics modding is just taking this practice to another level. There are millions of non-bass-playing electronics hobbyists so there is nothing unusual about the practice. If you derive pleasure from the practice that is all the justification you need.

Ken

5. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Thank you ! I did not know that nor would of though of that. I guess it was stupid of me to ask why someone would mod something so I could maybe use that knowledge to my advantage maybe that is what I get for being Curious .Thanks for putting me in my place !:bawl:

6. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    Wow, theoretical banter....There's nothing Philosophical here guys. I bought the bass mod because I knew the importer. He's decent guy that was willing to stand behind his product.

But like every kit we get, we usually have to make adjustments. In the case of the bass modes, the passive switch has only a volume while thew active has a three band eq. Our customer could care less about a mid-eq and cared far more about being able to dial in tone on the passive side. It was actually easy to do and a clean swap. Plus the passive mode is too nice to leave without anything on it.

Check out Konkave's review of the Buscanti Newport 5 string. He has that very bass mod pre-amp with the modified tone and treble.

In my world of making basses, (albeit part time) we have to hit on all fours with the customer. We rarely get one that is satisfied with a kit as is. So either we wire custom or we get something that brings us 80% to the goal line and we push it through on or own.

That's all....Enjoy the week guys....