1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass mods, when does it cross the line?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Jun 10, 2012.

1. if it's your bass do what you want.

461 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Basses should never be modded.

13 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Some basses shouldnt be modded, it harms their value. The rest are fair game.

212 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Mod any bass except...

29 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. I was out looking at basses a few weeks ago and couldn't beleive the prices stores were asking for modded basses.
    IMHO some basses just shouldnt be modded. The obvious one here would be the 4001/4003. I never understand why people change the bridge or the pickups on those. Just sell it and buy the bass that has that hardware?!
    I should be one to talk, I have modded a few of my own. But for the most part I just can't see the logic behind some of the mods I see.

2. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Mod at your own risk, I always say...

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Answer: When you can't get your money back out, which is pretty much immediately with non-reversible mods.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Since I just finished a substantial mod, I'll bite. What mods do you think are good? FWIW, I agree with you. Rickenbackers, Stingrays, G&Ls - I don't see changing the pickups. But, hey, to each their own.

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm all for mods.

jack-casady-guild-starfire-bass-guitar.jpg

But honestly... if you like the feel of your Rickenbacker but want to put a vintage Gibson mudbucker in the neck position for the tone... why not? It's not like you can buy that configuration anywhere. IMO if you paid for the bass, you can do what you want with it.

6. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I think it crosses the line when you can't unmod it to it's original condition. Just my .02

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    If you really like the feel and playability of a bass but are not satisfied with the sound or look of it I fully understand why you would want to mod it.

8. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    You don't mod Rickenbacker, Peavey T40s, anything pre-1975, or boutique brands. The only mod allowed on anything else Peavey USA is adding a Kahler.

Stingrays can get preamps or different control layouts, G&L you can do anything but swap the neck or change the pups. Fender is always fair game unless it's got vintage value.

9. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I never understood the "worrying about resale" thing- it's like buying a car and not driving it.

it's an instrument, a tool- use it, abuse it, etc

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Your bass, your mods, that is why they have them.

I don't get some of them, but I also don't get some of the basses out there.

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Hey! I've got a Peavey with a Kahler! I also modded it with a very small ramp on the bass end of the neck pickup.

12. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    As long as it still works afterward.

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    With the exception of pickup or battery box routing, if there's sawdust then it's too far.

14. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Any bass that comes from the factory painted black should immediately upon receipt, be disassembled, stripped, repainted, and then put back together. Which is what is in store for the brand new Gibson T-Bird SS that I should get this week sometime.

But then again, I personally would not own a black guitar, or a sunburst, ever.

15. I say mods are fine unless it's something that butchers a vintage bass like routing for a different pickup.

16. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    I love rics the feel the neck the body the craftsmanship but not big on the sound i like a deep 70's sound so to swap pickups is what i did....why is that not ok ? I feel most gits made in the usa have gone down hill but rics are still made the same as the where 40 years ago.

17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

If a chainsaw is involved, it is probably a bad idea. That's my rule.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am not into modding my stuff. If the stock pu's are weak, just get a 1000 watt amp and cabs to handle it.

Everything thing else, just takes practice.

19. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I'm all about mods and Frankenbasses. I wouldn't mod a vintage bass, and I can't imagine ever owning a boutique bass. I love it when people mod Rickenbackers, due to the amount of drama it causes. I don't view them as a sacred cow by any means.

20. My rule is simple. If I paid more than $500 for the bass, I leave it alone, aside from pickups (no routing). Under $500, any mod is ok.