Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Monitor as Bass speaker ? ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RATZAX, Jun 29, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Is a Bass Monitor tha same thing as a Bass Speaker and can a Bass Monitor be useed as a Bass Speaker?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Monitor is a term usually applied to a speaker intended to be heard only by the player on stage, and not the full audience, so it may not have sufficient output to use as a main speaker.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    some can and some can't. Like Bill said, a lot of times they don't have sufficent output. The other consideration is that the monitors based upon regular BG speakers (e.g., the bag end 1x15 moniyor based upon the bag end S15X and the eden 210 monitor based on the 210XLT) are versions of those cabinets with part "cut off" to make them a wedge. this leaves them with a performance somewhat less than the cabinet they are based upon as their internal volume and porting have been changed.

however, i know one cat who uses a bag end S15X floor monitor as his regular cab, and it works pretty well. I'm sure there are plenty of others that would work OK. Personally, I'd prefer to use a standard cab.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had this really great SWR Bass Monitor 12 that I used with my Studio 220 as a tiny gig amp. It sounded great and was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy to move around!