1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Monitors for mixing but mainly playing the bass guitar

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Erez Shidlov, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Erez Shidlov

Erez Shidlov

Nov 25, 2018
    Hi,
    I'd like to have monitors mostly for playing my bass guitar using amp/cabs simulators in my DAW and get the good tones that I'm looking for, but also have the ability to record and mix a few instruments in - so I guess a flat response is what I'm after.

I have a small typical apartment room - ~3x4 meters, and I read that having 8" woofers (e.g. Yamaha HS8 or JBLs 8" mkII) could cause wall returns issues and muddiness. On the other hand I know that in order to get a good bassy tone the bigger woofer the better.

Any recommendations? will 5" or 7" suffice, is it better to go with 8"s ? my budget is "not paying more than the HS8s..."

Thanks !!
    Erez

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    There are a million articles on the internet on picking monitors. If your room was not designed as a workspace, and you're just throwing some recording gear in there, pick the ones that sound best to you. I break the rules and use mid-fields at one metre from my face, but my mixing is not critical, I just like the extra bass. Unless your work area is at least 2 metres from the wall in front of you, a subwoofer probably won't help you at all. They suck if you ram them under a desk.
    Making commercial recordings, and making demos at home are different animals. In your case, buy some bigger speakers, and enjoy them.

bholder likes this.
  3. With a room that small you will have problems with the low-end regardless of what speakers you choose.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

your choices aren't that critical: pick the best you can afford and get them as close to your ears as you can (be reasonable!). listen critically, and mix at lower volumes. good luck! :thumbsup:

5. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Just like everyone else above, get what you like the most and can afford. I'm in a pretty small room with Mackie 8" monitors. Low end is a bit muddy, but once I learned how to mix with them and understand, it's not that bad. My basses also sound pretty decent through them, but don't expect anything spectacular.

6. Erez Shidlov

Erez Shidlov

Nov 25, 2018
    Thanks for all the bass/recording love !
    I played my jazz hiwy 1 through Kuassa Cerberus amp/cab sim in the store where the space is big, in both Yamaha HS8 and JBL LSR308 and it did sound spectecular for my ears ! (Love this level 43 preset in Cerberus)
    Compared to HS7 the 8" is way more fun for the bass guitar. I will update as soon as I test them in the room. (Hope I can get them soon they weren't in stock)

7. Erez Shidlov

Erez Shidlov

Nov 25, 2018
    Just updating:
    I've bought the Yamaha HS8 a few weeks ago, put them on my computer desk without any isolation for now (their huge :) ), and I'm very happy with their sound. I'm happy I didn't take the HS7, as I love to hear the bass of it all in my face.
    Yes there are issues with bass standing waves in this small room but I'm not in a rush to handle it because I don't mix anything professionally just yet - when budget allows I will handle the room...
    Thanks again for everybody for the answers!

8. hipass

hipass

Mar 18, 2017
    Almost anything from Adams will work well as a mixing monitor and tracking monitor.
    They're powered so easy to work with from that point and I quite like the sound of the top end you get out of the ribbon tweeter as well.
    The only thing I would say is, if you can try the monitors at home, in your room, that would most definitely be the best bet.. Monitors sound so different from room to room it'll drive you crazy.. No matter how cheap or expensive..