Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass more appreciated than guitar when basic?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by De Teng, Jan 10, 2006.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Just came to my mind....

... if a bassplayer plays solo... then he's often given a name as he doensn't take the basics serious. When he plays basic... he's the man, and is also appreciated as being not too solo-horn*y....

When a guitarist plays basic... what credits does he get?

So the discussion starts here: are we a bit more appreciated when playin' basically?

:ninja:

2. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i'm not sure, i no some bassists seem to frawn upon anyone who solo's on a bass, i cant say i'm to impressed with a basic bass line, but i love to here a good groovey bass line, if i see anyone who can groove i'm always impressed, and a good solo is always impressive to me, i love to here bass do its thing, if its groovin or doin a solo, or just doin a nice bassline

i suppose its the same with guitar aswell, just basic isnt very impressive, but a guitar can groove, mabe not like a bass to me, but in its own way, some people will like that, some people wont no to much about it coz they dont play guitar or bass themselves or something, people who dont play bass or guitar dont really seemed to be impressed by seein people bein able to groove, but theres nothing wrong with the basics, but just doin the basics all the time and nothing else would get boring, knowing when to keep back and let someone else do there thing and do your stuff at the right times would get u respect