1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass/MP3 on the same input? Such an adapter? Would it even work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Right now I just play the songs I wanna play along to thru the stereo, match the levels with the amp and play along. But i'd like to play my MP3 and bass thru the amp (like many of you with the proper equipment already do) that way I can use headphones and simplify my process.

But I only have the one input on my amp. Is there an adapter out there with a 1/4" and 3.5mm female on the same plug? If so, will plugging both in at the same time even work?

I appreciate any help, and ideas.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Does your amp have an effects loop? You could insert the MP3 into the effects loop via a little mixer -- perhaps even a passive mixer.

3. No, it has one input and one headphone jack. It's just a basic 30w combo. Nothing on the back of the head either except for the power cable. :/

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  5. Awesome AB! Thanks for the help! That's exactly what I need.

6. I built a headphone practice amp and added a basic mp3 input mixer to convert the mp3 stereo to mono, then combine it with the bass input. You could take the front end of that and just plug it into the stereo, then plug your headphones into the stereo as you do now.

I'm attaching the schematic drawing, FWIW.

Attached Files: