Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Bass must be easier since it only has 4 strings!"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassPlayerRH, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think everyone has had that said to them at on (or many more) point(S) and I thought of a good way to prove that wrong:

Everybody knows drummers are stupid, right? Well, they have more than 6 things, so that must be REALLY hard!

And the best one...Piano has 88 keys. So OBVIOUSLY, piano is like 15 times as hard as guitar!

See what they say then :0

disclaimer: apparently not all drummers are stupid, but I've yet to actually see this

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bass is easier. Get over it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    1) I respect drummers more then i respect most guitarists.

2) Stop bitching.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, OK, it's easier in the broadest technical sense (on average, over all types of music), but I confess that it takes a certain feel that most guitar players don't have. On many occasions, I've seen guitar players pick up a bass and shred a zillion notes very proficiently in a technical sense, but it still sounds like a guitar player playing bass. They just ain't got no groove. If you ain't got no groove, you ain't got squat.

I know, I know ... there are a lot of bass players who are better than a lot of guitar players. See my signature. It's true for the converse.

5. Amen

6. uhh, you guys don't have to be mad, I just saw a forum about the same topic and thought my idea would be a good come-back. And I'm not really saying bass is harder (it can be as easy as you want it to be) but all I'm saying is it's not ALWAYS as simple as pop punk playing guys make it out to be.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats great. You're not telling us anything we dont already know. Keep your all mighty knowledge inside. You can do it.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The notion that guitars are easier to play than basses has a long and stupid history.

Personally, I like telling the guitarists in jazz ensemble that their guitars are just 6 string basses for sissies. But that's not true.

They are different instruments. Most guitar parts in rock are harder than bass parts, most bass parts in jazz are harder than guitar parts. It's harder to do a breathetaking solo on bass than guitar, but that doesn't mean that solos on guitars are better, just easier.

The reason why most of society is obsessed with the idea of "guitars being better" is because of guitar solos being shoved down our throats from day one. I saw School of Rock, there was a drum solo and a guitar solo. You know why there was no bass solo? Because society doesn't view bass as a real instrument. That's why I believe it's so important for basses to take more solos and stuff to show society that we are the way.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually there was no bass solo because the girl wasnt good enough. The guitarist and drummer played in real life, but the bassist did not.

10. sorry Fig, I didn't know it was your time of the month.

11. The way I look at it, the guitar is hardest to learn but easiest to master. When you've got everything down, that's it. Bass is easier to learn, since beginners will often play the roots of guitar chords, and there are 2 less strings, but bass has all the guitar techniques and theory to learn, and then some (ie, slapping). While we're at it, drums are the easiest to learn (what does it take to hit some skins?) but hardest to master. It's all about limb independency and perfect rhythm. This is all my opinion, by the way.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I think turner plays sevens just so he doesn't have to listen to this crap.

13. well, i believe it depends what you play. look at a song like day tripper by the Beatles, specifically the main riff. is it harder for george and/or john, or Paul? i doubt one instrument is easier/harder than another. guitar players make chords, we do chords. guitar players tap, we tap. guitar players have six strings, we have six. heck we have a twelve string, so do they. the point is, the difference is, bassists have enough discipline to hold back on our talents. yeah, not every song needs tapping or slapping, but we can hold down a groove better than any other band member (shut up keyboard bass player ;) ) anyways thats why drums and guitars get the solo, as soon as they leave a groove, neither could sufficiently get it back!

Charlie

p.s. I've never seen a guitar player do what stu hamm can do, but I've never seen a bassist do what pat methany can do.

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Quit bitching and get a 6 string bass.

That'll show the damn guitarists.

15. I dunno... mandolin seems pretty easy to play.

What about the ukelale?!

Geez, why does bass take such a beating?

At least we play a halfway mainstream instrument. ;)

"Keytar is way harder to play than harpsichord because it... uh... needs batteries?" :rolleyes:

16. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You think it's easy to be a technically proficient wanker like jason becker or yngwie? I don't know what kind of vitamins you're taking but I need some.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    "AHAHAHA--oh, wait. That sucked. Thanks for coming out though!"

Honestly, those are terrible. Also? Get over it.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SCORE!!!:D

19. Hmmmm...

What about the fact that Mr. Will Lee is one of the most in demand musicians to ever walk the planet....

Christ, his instrument is "easy to play" so ***?

What gives?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. So on reading this thread I understand that playing easy bass is easier than playing hard guitar. This is cool. I can live with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.