Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Mute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would like to install a mute on my fretless. I remember seeing one which installs just in front of the bridge, under the strings and has a lever to bring it up as required, but can't remember where I saw it, and net search came up with nothing. Any help in locating this device would be appreciated.

2. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, I'm interested in it, too. I imagine it would be awesome! I like to palm-mute sometimes and i really like the sound. Is this a permanent, semi-permanent or what? Do you have to drill?

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Ever try craming some foam under the strings down there?

j

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yeah, I tried foam, and it works great - that's why I am looking for something more permanent. Foam can't be put in/removed quickly (like in the middle of the song), and palm-muting works with a pick, but not finger style. With this device, you have a lever just below the bridge which allows you to engage/disengage the mute real fast.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Brooks, I think I can refresh your memory (hopefully, I'm right).
    The older Music Man basses (includine the Ernie Balls up to sometime in the mid-80s had a little mute mechanism which was located at the bridge of the bass and could be lifted with a little twisting mechanism. They don't come stock with the instrument anymore but I thought it was a great idea.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

6. I have these on my '93 Stingray and on my Ric 4003. I don't like the sound much as you do not have any control over it. IMHO better to use your palm, unless you're recording and just use that sound for the section you're laying down.
    Of course, if you need that dampened sound for a whole tune, and have time to change between numbers, then it would be very useful.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Just keeping the topic alive...

'A Pessimist is an Optimist with EXPERIENCE'

[This message has been edited by Brooks (edited July 19, 2000).]

8. On and off in a flash without having to adjust each string mute.
    Now that seems completely usable for live work. Looks like a great product.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Thanks Treb!!! That's the one I was looking for - ordering it as we speak.

10. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Hey, looks cool! How exactly is it installed on a bass? How many holes? How much did it cost for 4-string?

11. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brooks:
    Thanks Treb!!! That's the one I was looking for - ordering it as we speak.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, you're welcome Brooks! [​IMG]

12. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brooks:
    Thanks Treb!!! That's the one I was looking for - ordering it as we speak.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, you're welcome Brooks! [​IMG]

13. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    My bass teacher has this huge 70's bass of some kind that has a mute bar. It's like a whammy but it brings this huge foam pad on the strings. It's great cause you can jump out of it easily. But the bass on the other hand isn't a real winner: it has an IRON pickguard/ electronic cavity!!

14. RG

RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gear_Junky:
    Hey, looks cool! How exactly is it installed on a bass? How many holes? How much did it cost for 4-string?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent an inquiry to their web site but havent heard from them yet. Does anyone have some info on this? I too am very interested in this.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I sent them an email, too, asking about US distributors. If I hear anything, I'll advise...

------------------
    "Why sharpen the plow when you can just beat the mule?"