1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass mutes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jun 28, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I need a good string for my newly aquired Rob Allen fretless to get a decay similar to an upright. Any suggestions? I don't want it to totally deaden the strings but just lessesn the sustain.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    get a piece of foam or a bunch of paper towels and jam it as far back into the bridge as you can. Thats what i used to do when we played living end stuff cuz their bassist plays and upright. It works pretty well for a cheap substitutem, and its easily removed.

3. Well, the labella tapes that Rob uses on his instruments have an upright-like (quicker) decay. YOu might try a different brand of tape wounds. People say the fender tapes are a little thumpier than the labellas. That may be worth a try as they are pretty cheap. You might also try some rotosound tapes (RS88). If that doesn't do it for you, I remember seeing an aftermarket string mute ala the mutes on early fender and musicmans that you could attach in a non-permanent method with foam tape. IIRC, they were slick looking but expensive at ~$100. Maybe try a bit of palm muting and save yourself a few bucks.

-Chris

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've had really good luck with a piece of foam mouse pad cut to fit under the strings by the bridge. With one mouse pad, you have quite a bit of material to experiemnt with, too.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think you are talkinga bout the Bass Mute. www.bassmute.com

Fodera is the US distributor (or, were the last time I checked). I thought about getting one, but they are pretty expensive, and the pickups on my Curbow are too close for it to fit, I believe.

6. i've used mouse pad bits too. i had some left over after i replaced the foam under my pickups with it, so with my leftover double-sided tape, i stacked 3 or 4 layers and shoved them under the strings in front of the bridge. worked great. i was playing a musical, and one of the songs was 'what's the buzz' from...........uh..........JC Superstar. not as easy to adjust or remove as the bass mute, but still does a decent job.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I love mechanical mutes. Palm muting is OK, but limits where you can play.

The BassMute looks to be a quality item (and I keep meaning to order one for my Jazz through one of our Euro brethren), and my Ric usually has the mute lightly engaged.

Now, I think I found a used MusicMan bridge with the mutes for my Sterling. Yay!

Mutes are good, IMO.