bass mutes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jun 28, 2002.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I need a good string for my newly aquired Rob Allen fretless to get a decay similar to an upright. Any suggestions? I don't want it to totally deaden the strings but just lessesn the sustain.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    get a piece of foam or a bunch of paper towels and jam it as far back into the bridge as you can. Thats what i used to do when we played living end stuff cuz their bassist plays and upright. It works pretty well for a cheap substitutem, and its easily removed.
  3. Well, the Labella tapes that Rob uses on his instruments have an upright-like (quicker) decay. YOu might try a different brand of tape wounds. People say the fender tapes are a little thumpier than the labellas. That may be worth a try as they are pretty cheap. You might also try some Rotosound tapes (RS88). If that doesn't do it for you, I remember seeing an aftermarket string mute ala the mutes on early fender and musicmans that you could attach in a non-permanent method with foam tape. IIRC, they were slick looking but expensive at ~$100. Maybe try a bit of palm muting and save yourself a few bucks.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've had really good luck with a piece of foam mouse pad cut to fit under the strings by the bridge. With one mouse pad, you have quite a bit of material to experiemnt with, too.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think you are talkinga bout the Bass Mute.

Fodera is the US distributor (or, were the last time I checked). I thought about getting one, but they are pretty expensive, and the pickups on my Curbow are too close for it to fit, I believe.
  6. i've used mouse pad bits too. i had some left over after i replaced the foam under my pickups with it, so with my leftover double-sided tape, i stacked 3 or 4 layers and shoved them under the strings in front of the bridge. worked great. i was playing a musical, and one of the songs was 'what's the buzz' from...........uh..........JC Superstar. not as easy to adjust or remove as the bass mute, but still does a decent job.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I love mechanical mutes. Palm muting is OK, but limits where you can play.

The BassMute looks to be a quality item (and I keep meaning to order one for my Jazz through one of our Euro brethren), and my Ric usually has the mute lightly engaged.

Now, I think I found a used MusicMan bridge with the mutes for my Sterling. Yay!

Mutes are good, IMO.