Bass mutes?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by taylordotson, Dec 14, 2002.

1. taylordotson

Dec 14, 2002
    I was looking for a good bass mute but there are 3 different types: tourte, sihon, and "ultimate practice" which one is better?
  2. taylordotson

Dec 14, 2002
    c'mon 6 views and no replies? Does anyone have an opinion on even one of the mutes? or possibly the differences between metal and rubber
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Depends on what you are going to do with the mute.

The big Rubber practice mute in not for concert work. It does make the bass sound kind of strange kind of nice in a way.

of the other two it is a toss up as to which you like and sounds best to you. I got all three of them.

I like the little rubber round one that stays on the string so I don't have to play the game of where the heck is that mute any way.

The wood three finger job is ok but it has to be fitted to the bridge. And with that when it says con sword you get to play where's the mute game.

So, it is which on you like.

Oh, there is a fourth type which is a huge rubber and spring job that looks like the one that used to be on my wife's viola that used to rattle like crazy. Stay away from that one.

And, the little rubber round on only costs about $5.00 which is a big plus as a mute is a low useage item.

Then there is the econo version where you use cloths pins on the bridge. Then when you don't need them to mute the bass you can use them to hold down you music so the fan does not blow it off the stand.

5. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    The wood mutes definately sound the best. But the rubber tourte style mutes are definately the easiest to work with because you can't lose them...unless you lose your bass, in which case you have bigger problems...and they don't break...just my 2 cents
  6. So, you're a member for 28 minutes and you're already giving us an attitude?
    Yes, I have an opinion.
  7. A Boston player is making wood mutes with just two prongs from a variety of different woods. I had a chance to try them and was surprised how much the sound varied. A cherry one gave my bass the nasel tone but without completely losing volume.

Still, by comparison my old ebony one definetly has much more volume and sustain though gets knocked off the stand and bounces around on the floor!!