Bass neck to thick

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TenorClef, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Can the thickness of bass necks be reduced? Mine seems a little to wide when i move beyond 1st and 2nd position. :meh:
  2. Thickness or width? You mention both and they are two different things. I have known folks with thick necks (usually on cheaper chinese basses) who shaved them down a sliver at a time but I would be very cautious about taking much off myself. If one of the resident luthiers doesn't reply soon, you might move this to the setup and repair forum for better results.
  3. Yeah i can see how that might be misleading, i meant the depth rather than the width of the neck.
  4. I just made an approximate measurement of the neck at where you would play D above above middle C on the G string. Its about 5 inches, is that thick compared to other basses? (I used a piece of string from one side to the other to work this out)
  5. NO, No....somethings wrong here. You can't mean you're measuring the deepness of the neck. Do you mean from where your left thunb rests on the middle of the back of the neck to the surface of the fingerboard? "cause if you do, you got an anaconda there, not a bass!
    Thinning out a neck is no big deal. Take it to your luthier and he'll take off the FB and then thin it from there.
    I just re-read your post. You're measuring the extra bulk with the string. Use a compass or just eye-ball it.
    Also, measure the depth of your FB. It may be a combination of the board and the neck.
  6. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC

How long have you had this bass? Are you a recent convert from electric?

If you are, I would say hold off thinning the neck until you've had a chance to get accustomed to it. I went from an Engelhardt, which has a skinny neck, to a bass that has what I would call a pretty standard thickness, and my first reaction was to get the thing shaved down. After a couple of weeks though, I didn't notice it at all. In fact, the neck on the Engelhardt felt ridiculously thin after playing the new bass for a while. Plus, the thick neck acted as a reminder to me that I should not be using my left thumb to GRIP.

Of course, YMMV.
  7. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Any luthier who knows basses...repeat, knows basses will be able to tell you immediately. Yes, the neck can be narrowed, and it can be made less thick. Also, your fingerboard might be too thick.
  8. I had up to 9mm taken off of one of my Rodiers. It was a combo of board and neck. (Martin, you have played this bass when it was still a fence post)
    I had my other Rodier to use as a template.
    Take hard account of what Goodbar said. In the case of my bass, the neck was exceptionally large. If you decide to do so, take it to a luthier and be sure to note the current heel stop and dont change it.
  9. This is my first UDB, prior to this i owned a Fender Jazz Fretless, so in comparison to that the neck feels thick.
  10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Ummm... Fretless Jazz? Geez, no offense but you should buck up and deal with it. They're supposed to be thick! Do you have a teacher yet? They'll help you with the correct left-hand technique to deal with the bigger neck. You can't just start gripping it like a BG. Who knows what bad and injuring habits you might pick up if you don't have a teacher.

After 1 week of starting DB, I got used to the thickness. Now playing a BG seems like I'm plunking on a cheap toy.
  11. Yeah i know what you mean? Its not really a problem as i tend to play mainly in first postion ocassionally braving 2nd and 3rd however a friend who has an old bass remarked that my neck seemed slightly thicker than the bass he plays on. I guess i'll just get use to it.