Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass neck wood...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ray Holt, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Hey guys. I'm just getting started on building my first guitar, but I'm already excited about building some pretty sick basses. I'm curious, for a 6 string bass, where could you get a neck blank that's wide enough for that? I know Larry Davis at galleryhardwoods.com says he'll custom mill your wood, so is that how?

All the beautiful basses on here have me itching to build something cool...

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    You could do that, or Just make it yourself...
    It's not rocket science. It will be much cheaper to find the wood and make it yourself. Nothing against Larry he finds the wood and puts the work in so you don't have to, but you pay for it. With a little research you can learn what to look for in a piece of wood to make sure it will behave and work well as a neck.

3. Alright, I know it's not rocket science, I've been doing carpentry for a few years now so I knew that part of it wouldn't be too hard. Like you said, I just don't know what to look for to make sure the piece of wood will hold up as a neck.

And also, once I figure those things out, I don't have a very idea where I'd go to look for the wood. A local lumber yard, or something like that?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for bearing with me... I'm new :)

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    You likely have a wood supplier somewhere nearby that you've just never heard of (they're pretty off the map if you're not into things that require exotics). A good resource is your local woodworker's guild. They'll be able to point you to any local resources and likely get you a deal or two if you become a member.

Barring that, there's always mail order. Larry's a great guy to work with, and his prices are really quite reasonable if you would have to farm out the milling and thicknessing anyway. Also, there's absolutely no concern that he'll sell you a bad bit of wood, which you can't always say about your local boys.

-Nate

5. I get my wood from the local timber yard, couldn't believe there was one nearby. They usually have what I need and if they don't, I substitute with appropriate timber.

6. Look for "woodfinder.com" and you can see what's in your local area.