Bass Neck Woods...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, May 17, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    Just curious what kind of woods you guys prefer your necks to be made out of...

any ideas for light, exotic woods?
  2. IMO.... stick to the tried and true... a good solid hunk of maple, possibly with some exotic stringers (I like wenge to add a little stiffness and 'zing'), and either maple (for a great treble cutting sound), rosewood (for a little more mellow vibe) or ebony (for that wonderful 'ping' if you slap).

I owned a bass with an ash neck recently and really didn't dig it... very dry and brittle sounding (it had a maple board). However, I LOVE my wenge neck and board MTD... but that's a VERY aquired taste (mid growl combined with a very hi-end (8K) sizzle).
  3. yep, I think maple's just great stuff. you might also want to consider purpleheart stringers. aside from adding some high mids they're great for stabilizing a neck.

I have also heard great things about padauk but have no first hand experience with the stuff.

from the lows,

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    For the neck itself; Maple, Ebony, Purpleheart, Wenge, Bubinga, and Walnut are good choices. These woods can all be used as fretboards too, except Walnut which I myself have never seen used like that.
  5. goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    wenge neck+wenge fretboard :hyper:
    really special feeling :D
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love my Wenge/purpleheart neck with purpleheart fingerboard.
  7. timinator

May 8, 2005
    Just got an Ibanez DWB-3 with maple/bubinga stringers in neck-thru and a rosewood board. Great combination! Good dense maple is hard to beat as an all around performer for neck wood and the warmest wood fretless I remember had a maple neck with an ebony board.

Don't know where to research the woods, but I think any relatively light wood only detracts from the solid foundation you need to shake a bass string against for good tone. Modulus has a cool idea in the Genesis neck which sandwiches tone woods against a wide graphite spine. It's stable and also pretty light.
  8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Goncalo Alves with Ebony fretless fretboard, thats some good stuff :)
  9. I really have a hard time to tell now a neck sounds to another neck. It depends a the body wood/fingerboard and pickups.

My next Fodera has 5 piece ash neck with purpleheart stringers. I can't really tell now it sounds to My Monarch's 3 piece maple neck. Just that it looks good!
  10. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have one bass with a mahogany neck, ebony f/b (also mahogany wings). I like it. The rest have maple necks - three-piece, bi-cut, whatever.
  11. Prefered Neck: Maple
    They look and feel great, I quite like them. I was actually going to use maple on my hand made bass, with a sstrip of wenge for some contrast *coughskunkstripecough*

Prefered Board: Maple- Not sure why, to me it sounds better than rosewood- it also doesnt tend todry out like rosewood does. My old Spector's rosewood board needed the lemon juice treatment every week nearly.

Other- I really want to build another bass- a P-Bass with a Jazz neck. I am looking at having a flame maple neck and board- nice stailess silver frets... *day dreams*
  12. That sounds like a Conklin Groove Tools:cool:
    I used to own one, it was a sweet bass, I miss it.

I don't have preference for neck wood as long as the neck is stiff enough to be straight.
  13. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I love the Maple/Walnut laminate on my bass. I've had bad luck with the durability of pure walnut in high humidity, but prefer its tone and character to pure maple...the laminate gives me the best of both.

I have to say I do like the exotics though, I've yet to play a graphite/composite neck bass I didn't really like, well I have, but I disliked things other than the neck.