1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass neck??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gu_10, Mar 28, 2009.

1. gu_10

gu_10

Mar 28, 2009
    Hey guys, totally new poster here, my brother has a mexican jazz deluxe with a maple neck/rosewood fretboard. he wants to change it to a maple neck/fretboard. I've been looking online and I see that I could buy one online and replace it. Is it safe to do it myself? I already took off the old neck, and it was easy...i mean is screwing the four screws the only thing to do? or do i also need to adjust the truss rod or something? So my main question is, is it ok to do it myself or should i take it to someone. Thanks guys.

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    If you possess a little bit of common sense, you can save a lot of money doing it yourself.

3. if you dont it can cost you a fortune...

4. gu_10

gu_10

Mar 28, 2009
    well that i believe i do have...(i think and hope) but when installing a new neck, generally, do i just screw it on and string it up and its good to go?? thanks guys

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You would most likely have to adjust the truss rod. It isn't that hard though. Just be careful and don't ever force it.

6. Also, make sure you are looking at a DELUXE neck, not any Fender neck. It is harder to find deluxe necks; they aren't interchangeable with standard necks.

7. It really isn't as complicated as you might think...

You have the right idea about screwing it on, but be sure it's a deluxe neck.

Adjusting the truss rod isn't hard at all.

I say go for it,and maybe read over the internet on how to adjust a truss rod.

8. gu_10

gu_10

Mar 28, 2009
  9. No - that is a standard Jazz neck.