Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snarkman_99, Jun 16, 2001.

1. i have a t-40 peavy bass and after i bought it I took it to a tech who said it a little bowed or twisted on one side
    and I guess I need to have it replaced
    anyone have any knoledge on where I can find one cause the guy said it is a very old model

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, snark!

Any authorized Peavey dealers in your area? (They are more ubiquitous than Starbucks in the USA).

Otherwise, maybe you can contact Hartley Peavey and the kids through their website.

The T-40 is an oldie. Peavey was testing the bass waters to see if they should pursue the market.

3. thanks dude im glad you could help me
    now i gotta find the site one more thanks

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

snark - The site is just the usual story, www.peavey.com . They have lots of "Support" and one part of their support is called "Parts."

If you come up empty, that could be bad news. There are other replacement necks available but I didn't refer you to those because -

> A neck other than the correct one for it will hurt whatever resale value it has

> Finding a direct replacement, (dimensions, screw alignment, etc.), may be impossible. If the non-Peavey neck doesn't fit just right, you have to start doing stuff like putting in shims, and that's just a pain.

5. i just went to the site and emailed them
    and am waitind fer a reply

6. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I have a Peavey T-40 too! That's awesome man! Sorry, I know that's not helping you a bit, but I'm always glad to hear of people who have the same bass as me. :D

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I don't mean to be a wet blanket but the chance of finding a T40 neck is very small.

If it were my bass I would consider having the fingerboard removed and the neck planed just enough to true it up.

The other option would be to pull the frets, plane the surface of the fingerboard, resaw the fret slots and refret it.

Normally its easier to just put an aftermarket neck on but the age of your bass probably makes it worth going the extra mile.

Rarity and age sometimes increases the value of an instrument more than people realize. It probably is worth more to a collector than it is as a player.

Unless the finish is really bad I wouldn't refinish it. The more original you can keep it, the higher the value. It's value may not be super high right now but it will only increase the longer you keep it.

8. pkr2 is right, it will be easier to get a luthier, not a tech, a real luthier, to pull the frets and correct the shape, than to find a replacement neck.