1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass newbie help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RAGE/AUDIOSLAVE, May 10, 2006.

1. RAGE/AUDIOSLAVE

RAGE/AUDIOSLAVE

Mar 21, 2006
    i have an ibanez btb 200, whcih isn't the best bass or a remarkably good one but it alright for now (saving for a fender jazz). Anyway, the a string broke (unwound) and so i need a new string. I was thinking of replacing all my strings anyway cos i've had them for a year and their a bit grubby and they don't feel as tight as they were.

By question
    should i buy resonably good strings or isn't it worth it as the bass isn't all that great?
    And anything i should keep in mind when buying strings?

Thanks your help on this one would be really apprecaited

2. You may be suprised at the sound you will get from new strings. The ones that are on the bass may be older than you actually think. If they were on the bass when you got it there is no way to tell how old they are.

Different strings have different sounds, do a little research on some of the artists that you like their sound and go from there.

3. If you like Rage and audioslave, I would go with a nickel or stainless steel string for starters. DR makes good strings.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Your bass is a fine one, don't worry about that. You don't need a great bass to be a great player.

That said, a new set of strings is going to make a big difference in the way your bass sounds. Especially if your strings are as old as they seem to be. Your tone will most likely get noticable brighter, puncier, and come alive. Go with a set of medium guage, stainless steel, round wound strings. If you don't mind spending a little extra money get a set of DR Lo-riders. They are great string and many here sware by them. For a little less you might want to try D'Addario strings. Just make sure you get medium guage, stainless steel, round wound strings. You may have to reintonate your bass after you install the new strings. But don't worry, it is pretty easy to do. All you need is a tuner, a screw driver and instructions. You can find good tips on changing strings and setup/intonation here on TB. Just do a search.

Good Luck.