1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass newbie

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by craigh9, Sep 27, 2009.

1. craigh9

craigh9

Sep 27, 2009
    NJ
    Hi, I just got my first bass. A Hofner 500/1 Vintage '62 & has a problem I just can't figure out. I'm thinking guitar & the thinner strings. The E & A strings are very muddy & the D & G sound fine. Is it simply strings or needs a neck adjustment?

Craig

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Craig,
    First off, you picked a classic, great looking bass, but one that is a bit awkward to play. I have had one for years, and every time I play it, I get more respect for Sir Paul. Second, violin basses are quite often strung with LaBella 'Deep Talk'n' flats, which were a fav of Pauls, but can sound pretty muddy, especially the E & A. If you get no fret buzz, then the neck is probably ok. If you get new strings, remember that it is a 32" neck, not 30" like most 'short scale' basses, so alot of short scale strings are too short.