Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass nightmare :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I accidentaly bought long scale Rotosound strings. Even though I was pointing to the ones I wanted, the lady goes "The 5-string set?". I say "That's a 5-string box?" and she's like "yes!". So I get the orange box she was trying to get me in the first place. I don't read the box. I install them. The plastic on the g-string slot of my nut got destroyed. I can't afford a new nut, I never have money for anything. I can't even keep these strings in tune :(

I'm going to take them off and install the old strings I had on, and hopefully return these to GC. I guess I can play a 3-banger until I get the $30 for a new nut. And I don't even like my crappy MIM J, but I'm going to have to pay to get it fixed because I have to :(

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Relax, nuts are cheap. Do a search in the Setup forum.

What scale is your bass?

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    It's regular scale!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    34" ;)

5. Hey Albini_fan,

Sorry you're not feeling the love from your bass restringing.

I'm confused - did you end up with the 5-string set for your 4-string bass?

Did you install the "B-E-A-D" strings on your bass (meaning that the remaining, uninstalled new string was the small one)? Maybe the E-A-D-G nut cracked from this.

Do you know what scale and gauge mean in regards to bass strings? If not, let us know and we'd be glad to help explain it.

Also, new strings won't stay in tune until they have stretched a bit and the witness points have settled. Witness points are:
    1) Where the string goes over the bridge saddle
    2) Where the string goes over the nut
    3) Where the string takes the first turn on the tuning peg.

BTW - I know it's a bummer to have broken gear when you're broke.

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    No, she sold me a 4-string long scale set. 105/45

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So the strings were a heavier gauge(thicker) than your other set, and that is what broke the nut?

Like bimp said, new strings will not stay in tune until fully stretched, and they need a good witness point at the nut and bridge. Also, you need to have at least 2 or 3 wraps of string around the tuning post to keep it from slipping.

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Okay, I took off the new (ill) strings, and put on my old ones.

Now I have a 3-stringed jazz, that I tuned DGD out of boredom. :( And... It's kind of fun :D

9. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    OK......Now I'm really Confused???:confused:

What the hell did you do to your bass?
    This whole thread has not made any sense at all!

Did you **** up and break the nut, or are you trying to blame who ever sold you the strings for
    EDITED TO REMOVE PERSONAL INSULT

Can anyone figure out what the hell he is talking about?

Why would it matter if you bought Long Scale Strings.........Just cut them down to fit....EDITED TO REMOVE PERSONAL INSULT

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: NO PERSONAL INSULTS ALLOWED IN POSTS, AND NO UNMASKED PROFANITY. CONSIDER THIS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

10. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Well, I didn't cut the string down. And I was winding up the string because it had so much slack, and I guess that put to much tension on the nut-slot and it exploded.

11. that makes EDITED TO REMOVE PERSONAL INSULT (lol)

there's no reason ur nut should of broke you *%^*#@!$!@$%^#$^#!@%^. aorry but what the **** did u do.

12. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    SOOOO your saying it was your fault for not cutting the string?

GOOD...I'm glad we got that settled!!!!!

Edited to remove personal insult....(LOL)....OOHH Please!

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    jeez, dragonbass. Don't be so rude. You better be careful, or the mods will throw you to the mutant rabid squirrels.

14. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.

Hey,,

I'm Sorry:rolleyes:

I'm just sick and tired of reading some of these dumb posts. I mean enough already. ;)

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I me do when DON'T up two moose ALWAYS yippie MAKE orange pie mustache SENSE.

See that made less sense. You just get frustrated when stuff goes wrong, and can't communicate so eloquently. (Wow, that was a big word.)

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have yet to EVER, EVER be able to install any new set of strings without having to cut some of the length off of at least a few of the strings.

There is absolutely no reason a Rotosound long scale set wouldn't properly fit on that bass, its a pretty good match, really. No offense, but it sounds like your nut broke because of you're not knowing what you are doing, as opposed to the strings.

If you don't know how to properly install strings, consider taking your bass in and having the store do it for you. Most won't even charge you a fee if you buy the new strings from them, and will likely let you watch as they explain the process.

Also, new nuts are dirt cheap. Take your bass in and have them install a new one.