Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Nirvana

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlindSide, Oct 14, 2002.

1. BlindSide

BlindSide

Oct 11, 2002
    Wausau, WI
    This isn’t really a thought about what brand of bass you play, but more importantly, it’s about finding that one single bass (possibly within your favorite brand) that is just THE bass for you.

I’ve played a lot of basses, some were expensive, and some were not. Some, I thought were great in almost every way, but still there was something not quite right about it. I own a Peavey Cirrus 5 string bass. I’m not going to be a Peavey shill here (though I have been in the past). I’ve played a lot of Cirrus’ since I bought mine and yet none of them even compare to mine. The one I have seems like it’s totally unique for me as if it’s not even the same brand as the others. Like it was a total fluke that they just created this one great bass just for me.

Let’s face it, there are quite a few great “brands” of basses (subjective to say the least), yet even within that brand they can’t all play or feel the same. Play a bunch of Fender Precisions or Jazz’s and I’ll bet they all won’t feel the same (aside from setup). I read a lot of posts asking what recommendations can be suggested…and I see the varying responses for a particular brand (and let’s face it, there are some brands more deserving than others). But, I’m curious as to how many of you have found that one special bass that feels unique to you. Perhaps you tried many different ones within the same brand, but only one felt right out of so many seemingly similar ones.

I spent a week, every day on my lunch hour, playing this one Cirrus. I kept trying a lot of others (even other Cirrus’) but something about this one kept drawing me back to it. To this day, if I’m in a music store and, out of boredom, I try out some of the offerings…I just shake my head. Nothing has that special feeling like mine does. I doubt I will ever get another bass (though at some point I will go back to double bass).

I have never had a bass that felt so right for me. It feels so balanced; it never feels like it has been hanging on me after a gig. The neck is so silky smooth and so comfortable that it plays so effortlessly. The sound is impeccable, whether onstage through my amp or direct to the board in a studio. It has the most beautiful wood (I love the look of woods). It sounds beautiful even without amplification (resting my chin on it to hear the wood). In short, (if I can be…LOL) even among so many other Cirrus’, mine feels like one of a kind.

This experience has taught me the approach to picking out a bass (that many others have so appropriately encouraged)…play them all first and don’t go on name brand or recommendations alone. You will never know what is right for you unless you can “feel” if it’s right for you.

So, I am just curious how many have experienced this ‘bass nirvana” with the bass they own now and why?