1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass noob here.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T Dubbayew, Aug 23, 2012.

1. T Dubbayew

T Dubbayew

Aug 19, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    So a spot opened up in my buddy's band for a bassist and, as of a week and a half ago, I became one. I've never tried bass before so everything is new. So i got an Ampeg PF-500 since it is so popular and reasonably priced. i messed up though and got cabinets that are too big for the amp (4 ohms each). Its ok though, the band figured out a decent workaround and I couldn't believe how those cabs were booming. What we did is route the PF-500 through a 2 ohm power amp from the pre-amp out on the PF-500 and then hook the cabs to the power amp. The power amp took all the heat. The PF-500 was totally cold. I was able to get my 4x10 and my 1x15 sub to work great and I was able to blend in between two elite guitarists with full stacks. It's kinda fun when it all works out. The only thing that sucks is that there is no way to rack mount the PF. I might actually have to custom make a set of rack ears for it to work.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Glad that worked out for you. Another alternative would be to make a series cable and run both cabs off your amp. The only drawback to that would be that you'd then be running into 8 ohms, so you wouldn't get all the power your amp can produce. It'd still be loud, though.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I agree with Munji.

One cool thing about you buying 4-ohm cabs now is you'll be all set to use either cab separately (or both together) If you ever upgraded to a tube powered SVT. (those amps are made for 2 or 4-ohm cab-loads & not 8-ohm)

4. T Dubbayew

T Dubbayew

Aug 19, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    i do plan on upgrading to the bigger amps someday, but I just blew through a couple grand REALLY quick so I am going to use the power amp workaround for awhile. Plus, I can always use a power amp for something else, like a PA system or maybe figuring out a way to make the ultimate computer sound system for playing games by running a cable from my interface into the power amp, then to some speakers. I'll figure something out.

5. One of the real smart guys of TB says series mixed cabs is a real no no. Not for the usual reasons but because the impedance gets screwed up.

6. well seeing as you are new to bass, have a browse through the stickies at the top of the forum and I'm sure you will learn lots of new things!

Bass isn't just a guitar tuned lower, it requires a whole different technological approach of which you are now only just seeing the tip of the iceberg, but don't worry, you have already gotten further than most beginners :) - I know seasoned bassists who can't even hook up a poweramp yet!

7. T Dubbayew

T Dubbayew

Aug 19, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    It is way different than a guitar. Very sensitive and prone to distortion when pushed too hard. I use a 5 string and am going for clarity on that low string to back up the dual 7 strings. it was suggested that I get a power conditioner and a rack mount EQ to dial the tone in precisely and reduce the muffled aspect of the sound a bit. Its hard to get used to not being up in front of the mix like i am used to with guitars, but taking a listen to the before and after adding bass really shows how powerful the bassline is in metal. Its something I seriously took for granted since i never picked up a bass to find out until now. Now it feels like i am hitting people with a sledgehammer. Its like the bass produces notes to scale, but also provides a physical aspect that really puts metal over the top since you can feel the rhythm as it is being played. That forces people to move to it. You can't just stand there and try to play it cool when you are getting your backside kicked by a sub woofer.

8. ^ And dealing with 7-string guitars is a whole other mission :)

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Welcome to the wide, wide world of bass.

In your situation, the poweramp is a plus. In general, your 115, because it only has one speaker in it, will hit it's limits/run out of gas before the 410 will. The 410 just has more speakers to absorb all the power. Run one cab off each channel of your poweramp so you can adjust them separately, then you can get the most out of the rig without blowing any speakers.

Other folks can describe all the technical/sciency reasons those cabs may not be the best match, but, you've been a bass player for a week-and-a-half....you get a pass. It took some of us many, many, years to get it.

Your post up there already has some sig worthy phrases in it too.....cool.:cool: