1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Noob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elmachete, May 8, 2010.

1. elmachete

elmachete

May 8, 2010
    Hi guys, new to the forum here, I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and lately i've been looking around at some bass gear to start me off. I mainly listen to Hardcore/Metal music.

What are people's thoughts on:

Fender Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass

[​IMG]

Orange Crush 35B

[​IMG]

I'd only really be playing at home which is why i'm more after a combo than a head and cab.
    Are there any other amps you guys would recommend?
    Would it be worth it installing EMGs into it? If so, would the P or PA pickups be better?
    Also, are there any distortion pedals that I would need to assist in 'bringing the br00tz'?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just a helpful idea- you'll be best off splitting this thread into three different ones; you'll get more answers about the amp in the Amps forum and the effects in the Effects forum.

3. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    those squier VM Precision basses are great for the price. They sound great, look great, feel awesome, and very little work needs to be done to them, unless you are looking for a specific sound that the EMG's will put out, but just try it out as it is first, then if you feel it necessary, go ahead and Mod it, it is your bass afterall. Secondly, the amp; in my opinion, you can get much better combo amps for the money. I recommend looking into The Peavey Minx 110 or the TNT115. They're incredible for the price. Peavey makes a bunch of gems. As for "distortion" there are LOADS of distortion pedals out there. Just go out and try some out. I recommend the Proco Rat, Big Muff, or going the other direction, the Sansamp Tech 21 DI Driver. Not only is it an overdrive unit, but it's also a preamp.