Bass not playing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Slothman, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    I just got a brand new bass, a traben 4 string pheonix, and it played very nicely for a week, and now it wont play! I know is not my cords or amp, cause i plugged in another guitar and that worked fine. I know its a long shot, but do you guys know what could be the problem? Had to be on my birthday too....
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Slothman, it could be a few things.

Is it an active bass? If so, it could be as easy as changing the battery to a new one.

If it's a passive bass, I would suggest a quick look at the wiring, including the output jack. Sometimes a bad wiring joint can happen...look for loose wires or joints that don't look nice bright shiny and tight.
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I am 99.999% sure those basses are active.. your battery just went dead probably. Chance out the battery. Battery died fast though... do you keep your bass plugged in all the time?
  4. Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    ok, i took it in and you were right, it was the battery. I didnt even think of that, cause it went dead real quick. I think the battery was defective, but thanks a lot for the help!
  5. Try unplugging when you aren't playing.
  6. Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    Yeah, what Drake said. Oftentimes plugging a cord in activates the circuit & drains the battery even when you're not playing it. I once left an alembic plugged in onstage overnight during a two night stand.....on an island. With no stores of any kind. Did I mention I forgot extra batteries?
  7. Ooooh, that's bad. Always bring a backup passive.

8. actually, a backup battery takes up less space :D bring one of those, too ;)
  9. Heh, true. I keep 2 packs of 9 volts in my case all the time. One for my bass (18v pre), and one for my 2 pedals.
  10. Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    mmm, i recal leaving it plugged in over night once, but that shouldnt be enough to drain it. I think the music store might of left it plugged on or something, but its all good now, and i got an extra battery and everything
  11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You really have to watch some of the 9V batteries out there. Good brands like Duracell are rated at above 8.4V new. Some of the off brand 9V Alkaline batteries come out of the package at about 7.8V. I am not certain where the drop off is on your electronics, but on mine they are at 7.2V. So, the better the battery the longer they last. I always have a pair (my basses are 18V) of spare batteries and I always change them before the first gig of every new year. No matter what. Small price to pay for security.