Bass not working, please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Hello folks. I picked up my Fender this morning, plugged her in, and immeadatly nearly blew the amp up. It was making a nasty buzzing sound. So what happens is I've tried both my amps, both my leads so it must be the bass. It's like there's a loose connection going on or something, but I didn't want to go rooting around the electronics because I don't know what I'm doing and I'd screw something up.

It seems to recieve some signal, because when I plug in and touch the strings/bridge/tuners or anything else metal on it it picks up on it it just doesnt produce a note through the amp.

Any ideas? To recap - I plug bass in, makes a horrible sound. Help! P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.... :meh: :help:
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hmmmm... first guestimate is it sound like there might be a short between the signal and ground in your bass. An open ground would also produce a loud hum, but would not affect your amp in any way, whereas a short between signal and ground might.

If you don't know anything about electronics you'll hafta take it to a guitar tech and have them check it out.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

look out the output jack, a short is one of the most probable things inside your Fender, if the bass isnt active you can mess around with the circuitry looking for the failiure, you wont screw anything if you look with your eyes and not with your hands.