Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass number 3

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jan 8, 2006.

1. if u read my rip table saw thread u know i had to put starting the bass on hold for a week.

as of right now the neck blank is glued up and in the clamps.
    i know i know no pics means its not real but dont worry ill have pics tomore.

the bass is gonna be a seven string with jazz bass string spaceing.
    the neck is made up of weng and purple heart 4 strips of weng and 3 strips off purple heart.
    the body iam still trying to figure out wats the best wood to use. iam looking for soem thing light but looks good.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Go with korina/limba. It's gorgeous. It's not heavy and it works a lot like mahogany.

3. this is going to be the frist bass ive made with a angle headstock. for some reason iam extremly afaird iam going to mess up scarf-joint. i had this nightmare last night i was playing the bass and the headstock snaped off and smacked me in the face and started talking to me.lol .can u guys give me some tips.

i know the channel for the truss rod can weaken the head stock, so i decied i was gona have the adjustment nut at the body end. is that a good idea. as a side note i forgot to say this bass was a neckthru 24 fret.

also since this is going to be a seven string should i use two truss rods with or with out carbon fiber... would 1 trussrod with carbon fiber work just as fine.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Light body heavy neck................ :rollno:

5. in my relatively inexperienced, humble opinion...

1...body end TR adjustment on neckthrough?...unconventional and probably difficult.

2...the scarf joint will be fine...the scarf joint will be fine...the scarf joint will be fine...(repeat 100 times, for maximum effect)

3...7 strings...I'd go with 2 TR's and a CF.

4...if the headstock breaks and hits you in the head and then starts talking to you...seek professional help...IMMEDIATELY!

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I never had any problems with that truss rod config on neckthru. You just have to mak sure you can turn the wrench enough to get a new grip.

Considering that you are making a lead heavy neck, I suggest a single truss... The risk of getting a broken off head in the head is nil, as it will go downwards due to weight...:meh: