1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Nut made from Corian Countertop?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BenitoBassolini, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Well, my dad had a bit of Corian counter top laying around so I decided to try to make a nut out of it. It tools really easily to tool (it took me about 3 minutes to get a nut-sized piece using just the table saw and a disc sander.) and is supposedly pretty hard. I'm thinking it would make a perfect nut for my bass project.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has done this and can share their experience with this material? If it really works as a nut then I'm pretty happy because we have a lot of it laying around and it could be done with pretty much any color and pattern known to man. The piece I used looks just like a bone nut (in fact, the piece of Corian was labeled 'bone') but there are so many color choices.

2. Um, yuh, Warmoth includes it in their standard neck construction. I have two of their necks (fretted and FL) that both have Corian nuts. I see and hear nothing wrong with it. It's probably pretty neutral-sounding, maybe having a bit of bite in the attack, but the contribution has to be minor compared to everything else. By the way, the nut they cut for my fretless was just about perfect right out of the box.
    Bill

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    wishnevsky uses it i think lol

4. Aww, shucks. That dashes my hopes of being the one and only luthier supplying these 'amazing super-nuts!' :smug:

But it's cool to know that these will work... I'm pretty excited about it.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    He also uses it for one piece bridges.

6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    It is perfectly acceptable nut material.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    And even better than whats on a lot of cheap instruments