Bass Octave Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Feb 12, 2018.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Ok, I'm thinking about adding a bass octave (probably the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe) to my bass rig. I'm curious where you'd put it.

1. In the effects loop or before the input?
    2. Before or after a bass flanger?

Thanks!

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Generally put the octaver as close to your bass as possible in the chain. I even go before the compressor, nowadays.

Correlli and ugly_bassplayer like this.
  3. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    So, prior to gain stages?

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Prior to anything that will alter the tone, really - the octave needs to hear as pure a note as you can muster to perform its best. BUT people do use them elsewhere in the chain to decent effect too, it's all in what you like.

BigLoopDuke likes this.
  5. shadowrider

shadowrider Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Like DDXd says, you may not want too much altering the signal before the BOD -- can impact it's ability to track. I haven't had the MXR BOD long. But so far, I'm not real happy with tracking when putting it up front right after the tuner; when I put the compressor first (Cali76CB), with the BOD right after it, the tracking seemed to improve significantly. I would guess a lot has to do with the output of the bass (active vs. passive, etc.) and playing style in determining whether before or after the compressor is best for you.

Seanbassplayer likes this.
  6. If you do decide to put any stompbox in your FX loop, make sure the stomper can go to line level, or that your amp's FX-loop can go pedal level (aka instrument level). Horrible sounds are emitted when trying to push instrument level at line level and vice-versa.

A little compression pre-octave can help even out the signal so the octaver has an easier time of finding the fundamental; neck pickup and tone rolled off the bass also is said to help. Even with compression and the neck-pup tone-rolloff, good playing technique may help the most — or so I've read.

Seanbassplayer likes this.
  7. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    While I'm really no expert I've just bought the EHX Pitch fork and have it right after the compressor which feeds straight from my Spector. Got to say I'm very happy. Though the Pitchfork is musical it's still a little plasticy. I've tried using a mojo mojo to fatten up the sound of both the Spector and the Pitchfork(I'm trying to extend my solos upwards using the pitchfork like a sixth string) and the blend isn't bad!

theunknowndude likes this.
  8. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer

Jun 3, 2009
    Los Osos, CA
    I’d put the MXR octave before your amp input, and before your flanger. If you have a compressor pedal you may find good results putting it in front of your octave pedal as well. (I didn’t like doing this but it’s very popular) Your octave pedal will have a heck of a time trying to track a flanger signal. But some people use octaver glitch to get a cool effect, so maybe you want to?

Best to use your ears, try it each and every way possible and see what sounds best to you because there is no right or wrong answer to pedal order. For instance, I found I liked having a slight OD boost (5th Gear) going into my filtertwin envelope filter then going to my MXR octave. Sounded good to me!!!

9. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    5th gear into OCT2 is as crazy as I get, but it sounds goooood. Real good. Fuzz and filter after the octave for me.I also can use the 5th gear to drive all my effects, so I like having it in front.

The other thing is that OD is a form of compression, so it works nicely into an octaver.

SLO Surfer likes this.