Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BaSs OcTaVeS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Just a couple minutes ago i was thinking, How many octaves below guitar is Bass??? I know this is probably an easy question but i couldn't figure it out.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A normal, 4 string bass is tuned one octave below the lowest 4 strings on a regular, 6 string guitar.

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Ok, so if its One octave below, then playing at the 12 fret on the bass would mean going into the guitars register??? Or so called piccolo bass tuning is one octave higher than bass and its not a guitar... i still don't get it i guess.:confused:

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Someone out there has to be smart enough to explain to me about this?!?! Please? :)

5. A piccolo bass is tuned like a bass, not a guitar, ie all fourths.

A 6 string bass is BEADGC
    A 6 string guitar is EADGBE.
    Lets say you have a 7 string bass and a 7 string guitar, both with a low B:

G: BEADGBE
    B: BEADGCF

The two highest strings on the bass are a half step higher than the guitar. If you follow this formulae for multistrings, you can see how far the difference goes:

8 string bass: BEADGCFA#
    8 string guitar(doesn't exist to my knowledge): BEADGBEA

And this continues on. However, Em-Bel is most likely able to correct me on this.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    explain what? what's the question now?

7. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    JT, my question is, how much lower is the basses register compared to guitar. I have a simple mind and would apreciate a simple answer. Oh and by the way JT, your mp3 i downloaded was very impressive and your doubleneck conklin is pretty sweet as well.

8. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    thanks anyways, i finally figured it out for myself. so for all you that don't know. the bass is 2 octaves below guitar. i figured it out by holding down the 7th frett on the A string so it would sound a 2 octave high E. then i pulled my old acoustic out of the closet and played the low E. They were the same.. Tada. 2 octaves down. Im just surprised you guys couldn't help me faster, geez, j.k lol :)

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks. :) it's a single octave lower than a guitar. piccolo bass is the same octave as the 4 lowest strings on a guitar, except it has a longer scale length, so it sounds differently.

10. i hate to say this but you're wrong. the low E on a bass is only one octave below the low E on a 6 string guitar.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the 7th fret is one octave above the open e string.

12. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    dang, you got me. at least i tried. :( . and my guess made you respond quicker!:)

13. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    ok i get that now. But how on earth does extended string length make it sound different, if its the same as guitar then it shouldn't be called a bass to confuse me! :) It should be called a 4 string guitar with a longer scale length! But seriously how does the longer strings affect the sound, how much differently do they sound compared to bass??????? JT im sure you can answer it cause you seem like a very inteligent guy! thanks for your help everyone.:)

14. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    THE ABOVE POST IS ASKING ABOUT THE EXTENDED STRING LENGTH OF A PICCOLO BASS. AND ITS ASKING HOW THE PICCOLO SOUNDS DIFFERENTLY THAN GUITAR. thats just in case my post was unclear.

15. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    something for you to try:

play your bass above the 12th fret...same octave as a guitar, right?
    it sounds WAY different. this is because the string gauge and string length affect the tone in a HUGE way. sounds a lot bassier, and fuller. a piccolo bass's strings are thicker than guitar strings. hope that helps!
    -nik

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hey dude.. its like singing.. if a man singing bass sings a C4 at the same time a man singing tenor sings a C4 (C4 being middle C) it is going to sound completely different comming from the two men. Because their vocal chords are different lengths and sizes the basses C4 will sound well,, bassier while the tenor's C4 will sound thinner and brighter... its just the nature of the beast.. and the thicker the strings, the different vibrations you get... its just the way it is man :)

Peace,
    jim

17. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Ahhhh i see! Size does matter!