Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass octaves

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Gopher Bob, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    hey sorry i tried this quesiton in another place but no one could answer, or didn't want to. But i think you should be albe to answer it. My question is... how much lower is the bass register compared to the guitars register. someguy said 1 octave but that would mean playing at the 12 fret you would venture into guitar territory. i was think maybe its 2 octaves lower, but maybe its more. Can you help me???? LOL i don't know why i want to know so bad but maybe its because no one else can help me. thanks for your time.

2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    nm, i figured it out for myself, after many hours of checking these posts and contemplating i decided that if i hold down the 7th fret of the A strng on the bass and then play the low E on my old acoustic i got out of the close i discovered that they were indentical. this furthered my idea that it was 2 octaves down. yay.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Bob,

That would be 1 octave, I believe. 1 octave up on your bass is equal to the lowest E on the guitar.

Mike