Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass OD pedal for under $75.00

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by clanner, Dec 25, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    i was looking at the hartke vxl, but would like to find one for under $75.00 including tax and that is true bypass, that way i won't have to worry about tone suck.

thnx in advance to any that reply

p.s. could anyone recommend a bass wah pedal for around the same?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Unless you find a real nice deal on Ebay, you're probably going to come up dissapointed. $75 is pretty low, especially for true bypass.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO true bypass is a lot of hype most of the time. Any decent buffer circuit will prevent tone degradation.

For a good, inexpensive overdrive pedal, I can only recommend the DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250. Adds a bit of grit for $40. Not true bypass, but doesn't suck tone either.

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    ok. thnx,

5. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    im gonna be buying a digitech bad monkey next week so, ill let u kno what its like, from the reviews ive read its seems very good for the price.

Mike

6. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    isn't that a guitar pedal? hmm maybe, forget about true bypass, I already use digitechs chorus pedal on occasion.

anyone know of one that won't suck my tone and that is also ballsy?

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I'm going to be gettign a behringer bass overdrive fairly soon. Check out the Big TB Sample Thread for some clips (last page).

8. +1 on the DOD preamp 250. They don't suck your tone when engaged or disengaged. Very nice equipment for $45. If you decide it's not for you you won't lose your shirt either.

BTW I don't know about a $75 wah pedal but I can absolutely recommend the Dunlop 105Q bass wah. Awesome pedal! About $100 though.

9. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    money i have is credit card gift cards, so i may be able to scrounge up some more, my band plays a couple of varieties of rock but we're mainly alternative, nirvana and chilli peppers mix are our influences, so i like to experiment.

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    USA Big Muff Pi.

$77.00 shipped brand new and less if you are patient. True bypass. The reference pedal from which all bass distortions are measured.

Every boy should have one at one point in time, even if they move on later on.

For $75.00, it isn't uncommon to find a used Dunlop 105Q. Personally, I like vintage Morleys better, but that is an individual taste you will have to figure out yourself.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've owned over a dozen of them, always treated me right. :)

12. It was between a DOD Preamp 250, and a Tech 21 Comptortion for me.....Well, I just paid for a Comptortion on Ebay, so the jury's still out

I'm looking for a nice gritty growl, sorta like the one I get out of my Mesa, but I need a pedal, as my Hartke in our practice space is too sterile, and I wanted to give it some much-needed dirt.

.....I've already owned a BDDI, and still have an ODB-3, and it sucks for getting a nice clipping sound... only fuzz..

I broke the BDDI, so I wanted to experiment with a different pedal...after reading reviews here, and on Harmony-Central(yeah, I know..) I decided that either the DOD, or Comptortion might fill the bill...the Comptortion swayed my decision because it had compression, and a noise gate also... so we'll see...

13. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    guitarist just got a new pedal 'boss metal master' and it sounds pretty good, would the ODB-3 be a good choice?

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    ODB-3 is not an overdrive. It is a fuzz though, so if you are looking for some pretty extreme distortion its a decent pedal.

15. But to quote Davidmwilson (I think it was him) "Big Muffs START their sound at over the top." For distortion, yes, but for his overdrive needs he's just really getting a crane to crush a fly.

16. That pedal is made by Digitech, and I'm going to get rid of my Boss ODB-3 real soon....I think it sucks for what I'm looking for...a little "dirt", not full on distortion, which is what you get at any wet setting on that pedal....yeeech!

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're both right...

Boss made a Metal Zone
    Digitech made a Metal Master

Which is it?

18. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I've found something, it sounds really good and only cost me forty bucks, bad monkey Digitech analog tube overdrive,

doesn't cut anything out, thnx to the poster that suggested it, it works with the songs i planned to use it for, (mostly popping above twelfth fret) other songs just for a tiny bit of color.

thak you all, happy Chanukkah