Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass OD tone... Your opinion? (clip inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Apr 18, 2005.

1. How is overdrive bass tone? The first half of the clip is without overdrive and the second half is with it kicked in...

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/bm_bass1.mp3

Once I get a little feedback from you guys, I'll post what I used for OD. :) Any and all feedback much appreciated!

Chris

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I like it. At least, I like it better than the clean tone in the first half of the clip. The clean sound was too trebly and scooped in the mids for my tastes, but the overdrive seemed to fill out the tone a bit.

That's not an EBS Multidrive, is it? Or is it another clip of your Sansamp?

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's a good overdrive tone, but I tend to lean toward insane over -the-top fuzz.

But for overdrive, i'd say it's really good. :)

4. Thanks. I am using the SansAmp BDDI throughout this clip, but the overdrive in the second part is coming from something else.

You think the first part of the clip is all scooped and trebly?

5. can't get hooked to your web :confused:[/QUOTE]

That happened to me a few minutes ago, but I can get on there now!?!?!?!? :eyebrow:

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I think both sound good.

The OD could be coming from several boxes, I can get that tone with the ODB-3 easily.. nothing spectacular but certainly a decent sounding distortion.. I also prefer more mids in my tone but that is a nice tone while playing alone or in a mellow-rock setting.

You can certainly hear the sansamp tone tho... then again I have one so I sortof know the tone of them... I prefer the blend knob at around 9 or 10 oclock to add some more mids.. that sounds more like the "ampeg" setting and the highs are kinda brittle-ish..

It's good tho.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm... Seems just a bit scooped, mostly in the higher midrange. *shrug* Maybe it's just me.

It's definitely got more high end than I prefer, though.

8. I was searching for a bass overdrive that has a sound as overdrive but still could not get one.
    I have Sanamps and Boss for my studio perform but it doesn't serve me well enough.

Like to get the real thing.

9. That happened to me a few minutes ago, but I can get on there now!?!?!?!? :eyebrow:[/QUOTE]

OKkkkkk

10. Thanks guys. I think the differences in tone I'm getting with the BDDI now is because I just put on a fresh new set of strings last night. These are a lighter gauge and I had the BDDI dialed in for the heavier strings. I'm pretty sure that's what it is and I just haven't messed with it enough with the new lighter string gauge.

OK, I'll spill the beans... The OD is coming from a Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive pedal that is meant for guitar. I've been saying for months now that the cheapo Bad Monkey is freaking KILLER for the price for guitar and I think it sounds very good on bass too! It's just a GREAT pedal!

Chris

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, I really like it, how about your settings? What bass?

12. Thanks! Here are the settings:

SansAmp BDDI:

Level - 12:00
    Blend - 5:00 (full)
    Treble - 11:00
    Bass - 11:00
    Drive - 1:00
    Presence - 9:00

Digitech Bad Monkey:

Level - 9:00
    Bass - 2:00
    Treble - 2:00
    Gain - 3:00

I'm going into the Bad Monkey first, then the SansAmp.

I'm finding that a few of my guitar pedals work great with bass, which is awesome. My pedalboard will have the following by the end of this week:

- Boss TU2 Pedal Tuner
    - DOD Bass Compressor
    - Digitech Bad Monkey OD
    - Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus
    - SansAmp BDDI
    - Boss NS-2 Noise Gate

I'm also thinking about adding a Digitech Synth Wah or whatever it's called. The clips sound awesome. My band plays Tom Sawyer and it would be cool to get a tone similar to that with the Synth Wah pedal.

Oh yeah, I'm using a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

13. I can understand why people think that sounds scooped, but I actually really like both tones. Good work!

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want feedback?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

There y'go.

15. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Can you post a clip of the sansamp overdrive for comparison?

16. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I thought it had a pretty decent tone, good character and reasonable if maybe very slightly weakened low end.

But since I like more mids and less presence-clank in my clean tone than you have on that clip, so I suspect that for me the mids on that pedal would be too much. But if I see one I'll definitely check it out for myself.

One'a these days I'll have to post a clip of my Keeley BD-2. I prefer it to
    everything else I've tried to date, including the EBS multidrive.

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Nice tones, I like the middy sound personally. I could go for some more crunch in the distortion but other than that nice stuff

18. I'll be posting more clips over the next few weeks or so... I'm still in the very early stages of tweaking my stuff and I like hearing everyone's opinions on the tones I have so far...

Thanks guys!

Chris

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm not really a stompbox kinda guy but for $40 bucks that pedal sounds sweet. Oh no, GAS! :eek:

I...............must...............have!

Well, atleast its cheap gas. :p