1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass of interest? Reid Hudson and Zak Stolk

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Harling, Oct 27, 2009.

1. scotty77

scotty77

Jan 31, 2008
    Victoria, B.C.
    I noticed there was a Zack Stolk bass in at Larsen's Music in Victoria for sale as well today.

2. Did you try it out? If so, what's it like?

3. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    The Bass in the link and he Bass at Larsen's are the same Bass.
    The photos make it look kind of beat up but it's really in a lot better shape than it looks to be in the photos.
    I know both the seller and the maker well, and I own a Stolk Bass from 2004.
    It may be of interest to note that both the new Stolk Bass in the store, and the used one are in need of a set up, as the bridge is misplaced on both, and the fingerboard on the older one has what I consider to be excessive camber ( scoop ).
    For the asking price ($1100.00 CD, including bag, a full circle pickup, and bow) this is not a bad deal !
    This Bass hasn't been played a lot and probably isn't fully broken in yet. From my experience, Zack's Basses develop a big sound and project quite well given time, I know mine has.
    Zack uses very fine wood as he has his choice from Reid's supply ( I've seen Reids wood storage - wow !!)
    For what it's worth, the playability and sound of mine were greatly enhanced by putting on a Marvin Cable Tailpiece.

4. scotty77

scotty77

Jan 31, 2008
    Victoria, B.C.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Don. The photographs didn't look like what I saw at Larsen's. I was amazed that I happened to come across a second bass so close to this thread.
    JUst a question for you. Did you miss a zero on the price? Shouldn't it be $11,000.00? Just verifying. Otherwise I'll be down there at opening time tommorrow.
    To Harling. Nope, didn't try it out. It's out of my price range so thought it best to leave it be.
    Scott

5. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    Yes, you're right !!
    The price is $11,000.00 CD and still a good deal.
    I did play the Bass in the store.
    It's a solid sounding Bass with even response throughout the range both pizz and arco.
    The strings are new Evah Weichs just put on, they haven't broken in yet.
    Zack's Basses can be surprisingly misleading, they have lots of low end power that you don't hear as the player. As is always the case with Basses, they always sound much better when someone else plays them and you listen from a little distance.
    Of course it's a huge bass, which, I imagine, helps the low end somewhat.
    Too bad the floor in the store is tile on cement, not good for trying Basses at all.
    In a normal room, or on a stage, this Bass will sound pretty good, especially if they take care of the bridge placement.
    So now you know of three Stolk Basses !!

6. So, just make sure I have this right, there are two Stolk bases in Larsens, one of which is the 4/4 used one I linked to at beginning of this thread, and another is a new one. The third one mentioned by Don C is his own one.

And, the used one in Larsens is tagged as $11,000 CAD while the on-line add lists it at $7000 CAD, with indication that lower price would be considered.

Correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

7. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    Yes, this is very curious.
    The seller of the Bass in Larsens told me he had put it in the Used Victoria ads and had had no response, so he moved it to Larsens for consignment.
    I do know of one other Bass in the Nanaimo area, but it is a much darker finish (or was ??)
    Seems like there has been a mixup somewhere.
    I will check with Zack and the owner of the Bass in Larsens and get back to you when I have some info.

8. My Zak Still bass is still for and in the same condition as described by Don Cox on this forum. It is an absolute bargain at 7500.00. The asking price on the Zak Stolk violin site is still 15,000.00. The bass is located in the Victoria BC area. You can see the at zakviolins.com. Personally, the instrument is too heavy for my 73 year old frame. Dallas S...
    marinesurvey@shaw.ca

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    You'll probably reach more people by posting a "for sale" ad in the classifieds section. Just my 2 cents.