Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass of the pixies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scuba steve, Mar 1, 2006.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well i was watching a documentry on the pixies the other day, and the bass player of course had her p bass, but she also had some other ibanez AX model looking bass with a single pickup. this footage was from the late 80s if that helps. that ibby looking bass looked so cool, not to mention it sounded great. thanks for the help.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ibanez Axstar is what I think it may be called

Er, no idea about the single pup though, I only see the ones with 2...

3. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez ATK?

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    maybe it had two pups, but it was not an atk.

5. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    It was some kind of Aria bass...she talked about it in a Bass Player mag recently.

6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    can yall get me some pics, and maybe even prices of some used ones?

7. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
    Before her Fenders, Kim Deal played an old Aria Pro II bass...

I'll see if I can't find a picture somewhere.

8. This it???

[​IMG]

-ryan-

9. I saw the Monkey Gone To Heaven video and she has what looks like an Aria but with slightly different body shape... that or the B&W picture fooled me.

10. [​IMG]
    If the bass above is the one you're thinking of, it's an Aria Pro II Cardinal Series. It's a 32" scale bass, which is quite heavy for it's size. I know, since I have one.

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    For Come on Pilgrim and Surfarosa, Kim used an Aria bass DI'ed and mic'd through a Peavey Combo 300 amp.

For Doolittle she used a Fender Precision.

For Bossanova she used an EB Musicman Stingray. At some point she had switched to a Trace Elliot amp, and I think it was this she was using at the time.

For Trompe le Monde she was using the Stingray and a Steinberger, but used the Stingray live (mostly because of the way the Steinberger looked)

I use a Stingray through Trace Elliot gear and, using a pick, it totally nails the tone. No effects other than a little compression.

Nowadays Kim uses a coral pink 62 RI Fender Precision through an Ampeg SVT.

12. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    thats the bass!

13. Aria Pro II, wow that brings back memories....:)
    John Taylor also used an Aria Pro II on Durans first couple of albums.

Attached Files:

14. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    What are the old arias worth. My GC has the first one posted here (red) used for 399.00 it plays great..neckthru but heavy.

15. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Hey lousybassist,

Would you say your cardinal sounds similar to a P-bass? The pickup seems to be a P-type split pickup but housed in a soapbar-size casing. In those old pixies recordings, the bass has this really cool "thunky" (for lack of a better word) sound, more percussive than my p-bass, but maybe this is just due to the way it's eq'd.

16. I haven't really played my Aria in a couple of years, nor through decent amplification, nor alongside a Precision, so I can't quite tell. Moreover, when I bought my Aria, it came equipped with an EMG P-pickup, and the original one was, sadly, long gone. I would like to restore it into original condition some day, though that will probably never happen.
    Sorry that I can't be of more help.