Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass-off

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bigmanb, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Anyone see the bass-off on Saturday Night Live?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    At the Hothouse?

I'm switching to sax... that was cold;)

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hahah i thought i was the first so start a thread!! when i came i didnt see this

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Can someone tell me what happened?I didn't see that episode.:(

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    What was the other bass they had? One was a lefthanded Ray, but what was the other?

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Ibanez

So anyway... there was this Bass Off at the Hot House between the World's Greatest Bassist and some other guy. Stereoytypically bad wankfest.

:D

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I couldn't see what kind of bass it was cuz my TV is messed up. Actually, it's our cable.

Anyways, there was a gas leak inside the Hot House, and right as they both started goin' at it, the gas exploded. Bad deal. Hot House is no more.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    really not funny. ill mention what i said in MY thread:

it was pretty off. the sound was popping but they were plucking!

i feel so misrepresented :(

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It was bad on purpose. Probably what non-bassists "hear" when they hear a bass solo.

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I think one of the writers must have been hanging around www.activebass.com and reading the message board (where'd ya think that whole "GAS" thing came from? Maybe cause us bassists always are saying it?) and playing with that line creator they have. (Ive made stuff on that (line creator) that sounded even wilder)

11. Haha...I'm watching it right now on the West Coast. "Dirk Peters" is playing an Ibanez Soundgear.

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I wish there had been more Tenacious D.
    Doc

13. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    lmao. that was great!

it was so corny that it was funny.

14. that was awesome they did the world's greatest solo bassist that was funny as hell! "No don't there's a gas leak" ahahaha!

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That was the skit that I fell asleep to. It was really boring.

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    There has been two other threads on this subject.
    I really didnt like the skit that much.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This is off-topic.

Begone.

Oh, and I didn't watch SNL because 1) It's depressing, and 2) our local NBC affiliate is no more and most of the NBC programming is now on cable. Feh, I'll watch more Letterman.

18. does anyone else think that mad tv is 1000 times funnier than SNL and that snl is just surviving on their name?

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I do, and "surviving" is too kind a word.

The sad part is that MadTV used to be brilliant in the beginning and gradually started becoming lame.

It's still hipper than SNL, but the writing's almost as bad. They even started doing the "announce the cast's names out loud" thing. Someone at Fox needs to be shot or at least fired with extreme prejudice.

20. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    SNL went through a rough time for a few years. But, latley It seems like they're making a come back. Jack Black & Chris kattan in the " my woman's in the trash chute" skit was damn funny.
    I think the cast is better now than it has been in years.(will ferill) IMO-mad tv is a bunch of tripe.