1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass on a bike

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bocasfx, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hey TB'ers...

I've been playing bass for some years now but i have never had any formal instruction, so I decided to put a stop to this and I'm going to start taking lessons this Thursday! :hyper:

My problem is that I don't have a car and the place where the lessons are going to take place are nowhere near a bus stop, which leaves me with the option of taking a taxi (too expensive) or riding my bike. I wanted to know if some of you have experience riding a bike with your bass and would like to share some tips.

Could you also recommend a nice gig bag with shoulder straps?

Thanks

2. I'm sure it can be done with a gig bag with tight shoulder straps. Last night I skateboarded to a friends with a guitar on my back, so I'm sure a bike isn't that bad. Just don't take hilly roads!

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I used to play with a guitar player that would strap a gig bag on his back and ride his bike to a gig. He looked really cool tooling down the highway! His bag had two straps if I recall.

4. OldG

OldG

Dec 23, 2006
    Northants, UK
    I've had to carry a bass in a gig bag on a motorbike a couple of times... easy enough if you keep it under 50mph - the drag created by the neck sticking up just gets too risky for both the bass and yourself at around that speed.

As for bicycles, I never tried, but I should imagine all should be good if you don't fall off. Are you feeling lucky?

5. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Definitely get the gig bag with two straps, backpack style.

And don't wipe out!

:eek:

6. I've been riding my bike to pretty much everywhere for the past two years and I've never had an accident. But you never know, I don't want to fall with my bass on my back! :rollno:

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

I rode my bike to band practice a few times. It was about 6 or 8 miles. I was always nervouse that even the cheap bass I had would not make the trip.
    They weren't great practices, I was a bit tired and needed to leave in time to be home before dark. I liked it better when I could use my truck, but the farm license required me to be home by dark and it wasn't really farm business so the farm license didn't really apply.
    Now the police are much tougher (society demands it) on that type of thing.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    I used to bike every day with my basses when studying in town. I never had any problems , though im a good biker. Only bike with your basses if you have good balance :D
    Its no problems , just make sure you have a good gig bag.

9. i can't sit on my bike with my bass on my back because the bottom of the gig bag hits the tire.

10. Hi.

When I was a teenager I just tied the bass case sideways to the back-rack with some bungee-cords :rolleyes:. Very balanced and secure in deed :D.

Sometimes when I ride my motorcycle to the practice I use a soft gig-bag upside-down, the drag is otherwise too much.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

11. ive biked with gig bags b4

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021