1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass on a Budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicoDirenzo, Apr 9, 2009.

1. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    I have been playing out of a Behringer 4500 head and Kustom Grove Bass 2/15 cab and, frankly, the head has been good. I am a long time keyboardist and vocalist but was challenged by my group to play bass when we lost or bassist. I bought a Schecter Custom 5 and Carvin Custom shop 5 string with an Aguilar preamp which is my bass of choice. I turned the Schecter into a C string 5 string which I use for more mellow stuff. Anyway, I just bought an Ampeg B1RE head because it was $299 on MusiciansFriend...no tax and free shipping and it will arrive next week. Will I be happy? And, it appears there is no selection for active/passive bass...is that a problem for the basses listed above which are both active?

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    The little button just right of the input jack is what you use between passive and active basses. Hard to tell in the pic but looks like -10dbs, so you would push it in with active and out with passive basses. That head is not the loudest 300w I've heard but with your 215 cab you should be able to dial in a nice old school tone no prob. make sure you do a follow up post and let us know how it works out for you.
    hope this helps, smogg

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Risky business buying sight unseen, but at least you got a deal, right? Anyway, report back after you've had a chance to check it out, I personally am a big fan of 215's.