Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass On A Budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Hello

I've been playing bass for about 5 years, but only serious for the last 2. Ive got about $500 USD and ive got an alright amp so a new bass is next on the list.

I play mainly Rock music but like the Chili Peppers so im after something that can handle funk and blues as well as rock..

Ive been looking on the net a bit and most basses in my price range have the dual humbuckers or soapbars...but from what ive been reading on TB is that a jazz bass would probably be most suitable

I know i have to go out play some basses before i get one but i just would like your opinion on what to try out

So a 4 string bass, thats suits rock/funk/blues for $500

Thanks you all for reading, it is a fairly long post

Spike

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    mim fender, but also check out the ibanez's/samicks.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I second the MIM Fender. Best bet is to play everything in your price range that you can at the local music store and decide which works best for you.

Have fun.

Dan

4. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    Yeah,
    i just got a MIM J bass fender for $410 and its sweet. The sunburst could be a bit better, but I think they save those tops for the more expensive fiddles.

I use a noise gate, so I don't notice any hum from the pups, but did before the gate.

g.:bassist:

5. Thanks for the replys

It seems like fender might be they way to go

Who owns a bass with dual humbuckers or soapbars and what are they like?
    i got the impression from some searchs they are the most versatile but are more suited for metal
    Could be wrong of course

And are there any other brands that sell Jazz Basses in my price range so i can compare and stuff.

Thanks

6. I have a Spector Rex with soapbars and it is indeed very versatile. It sounds great for all styles because the EMGs in it provide excellent clarity. The bass is capable of everything from a low end growl to bright highs and warm midrange. I know I reccommend these for every thread, but I really think these are great basses that are far superior to MIM Fenders. But then again, they are very different and some people might prefer the more classic sound and feel of a Fender.

7. Ive looked at a few basses on the net with soapbars and these are the ones in my price range

ESP B-104 and maybe 204
    IBANEZ SRX 300
    WARICK ROCKBASS STREAMER (only just in my price range)
    EPIPHONE Les Paul Standard
    And a Yamaha RBX not sure which one though

Does anyone have any comments on these...ive seen that people think yamaha is a good brand for the price, and the rockbass has had some good comments, but i havent seen much on the ESP's or the Epiphone

Thanks

8. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i had a b105 which is a 5 string esp ltd. i wouldnt suggest one. im glad to be rid of that bass. i really enjoyed my sr300 and i've enjoyed alot of the yamaha's as well.

9. Those big HB pups are kind of sterile IMO for blues. They can pull off rock and funk easily. I'd go with the MIM J.

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a Spector NS2000 neck-thru with a pair of EMG-HZ pickups with an EMG-BTS.

I HATE THEM!!!!

It seems this setup is for heavy-metal rockers (which I am not). I have NEVER gotten ANY tone out of the pickups that I've been happy with. However, this is not a dis on the bass at all--Spector makes some of the best darn basses out there--I just hate these EMH-HZ's. I'd take a set of EMG-JV's or an EMG-P/J setup any day. I can't wait to get my Darrin Huff and be rid of this metal-monster bass I have.

--Matthew

11. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    If you ever get a chance to play an EMG-HZ equiped bass, and decide that you like it, let me know---

I've got a Spector with your name on it!!

--Matthew

12. I completely disagree. I love the sounds I get from the EMG-HZs, and I think they are almost as good as the real EMGs in the Euro Series Spectors. But I guess this goes to show how much opinions can vary and you should play a bass before you buy it.

13. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

Agreed.

--Matthew

14. I have been looking at some of the threads on talkbass and see that essex is a good brand has great prices
    I also read people always reccomending to put J-Retro preamps into there jazz basses
    so my questions are:
    What is this J-Retro Pre-Amp?
    Why is it so popular?
    Are essex Jazz Basses any good?
    Would putting a J-Retro in it make it a better bass?
    and
    WOuld i need new Pickups as well as the J-Retro

lots of questions
    thanks

15. Essex's are really great basses, but I see that you are in the Land Down Under. I don't think Rondo ships out there...

I say get the MIM Fender, then later add the J-Retro if you want to. It seems like the smartest choice to me.

If you get the J-Retro, don't switch out the pickups yet. The Retro will enhance your sound and bring out the best of the pickups. If you still don't like the sound, you might change the pup's, or get your hearing checked. ;)